Trouble with rooster.

Personally, I think it's kinder to humanly dispatch a bird than to make it live alone. They are flock animals and it's stressful to be separated for so long.
I think the intent was to see if he can calm in time and give the gal's a break. I've heard some roos take 2 years to settle, but I've been fortunate so far to have a friendly roo. He's a big goofy baby.

Just put the damn rooster in the freezer. That is very unfortunate for you and in my experience, They only get meaner the older they get. I have one that attacked the 5 year old, I thought I’d give him a chance, but he attacked me 4 times Since , I pulled of his spurs, but there is still small ones under that.Now he’s getting worse. He got me on the back when I was feeding a 12 week old cockerel that is the sweetest. Maybe hatch some chicks and keep those instead? When he got me he cut my back and then got me on the neck and in the Face. Don’t risk it.

I think the intent was to see if he can calm in time and give the gal's a break. I've heard some roos take 2 years to settle, but I've been fortunate so far to have a friendly roo. He's a big goofy baby.
Perhaps, but it just seems cruel to keep him penned up alone for months at a time. Unless a rooster has some stellar genetics you need for breeding, I don't see the point to putting up with getting flogged daily. There are cockerels out there that never attack humans or over-mate the pullets/hens and don't take 2 years to calm down. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to belittle the life of a chicken. I know it's not easy to take a life. I've butchered for meat. But I have also butchered both hens and cockerels (I wanted to keep for breeding) because their attitudes and bad behavior was effecting the rest of the flock. I have never regretted it because the remaining flock members are always much happier after.

Perhaps, but it just seems cruel to keep him penned up alone for months at a time. Unless a rooster has some stellar genetics you need for breeding, I don't see the point to putting up with getting flogged daily. There are cockerels out there that never attack humans or over-mate the pullets/hens and don't take 2 years to calm down. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to belittle the life of a chicken. I know it's not easy to take a life. I've butchered for meat. But I have also butchered both hens and cockerels (I wanted to keep for breeding) because their attitudes and bad behavior was effecting the rest of the flock. I have never regretted it because the remaining flock members are always much happier after.

I agree! No need For feeding a mean, crowing roo for 2 years without being able to keep with hens for fertile eggs. I recommend hatching out some fertile eggs or buying or getting a rooo for free.

Nah, not when their passage of manhood has both ends of the fella being a turd in everyone's punchbowl.
Normally it isn't for very long a few months.
Penning one for a full year or two if dealing with a late bloomer would be nuts, he's only terminally stupid for a couple months.
I think of it like a drunk tank for hormones. :)
Personally, I think it's kinder to humanly dispatch a bird than to make it live alone. They are flock animals and it's stressful to be separated for so long.

Went in their run this morning and he attacked my leg, when I kicked him away he then flew up and started trying to slash/attack my face. Dispatched him with a handgun shortly there after.(I was out of birdshot).

Wife had been working with him, holding him and walking around.

I believe I made the right decision. I was going to let someone else get him to cook but after being attacked in the face(thankfully wearing sunglasses) I was not in the caring mood.

Anyways, wanted to update y'all. I'm the type of guy that runs into traffic to save a box turtle crossing the road, so taking anythings life makes me feel bad but I'm not going to be blinded over a jackass rooster with an ego. Thankfully it was over quickly for him.

Back
Top Bottom