Troubled layer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rpchris, Feb 2, 2012.

1. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    Hi all,

I have a white rock that just turned 5 months old. She started laying about a week ago. She laid 2 days straight, skipped a day, laid again, then stopped. She hasn't laid in 3 or 4 days now. She still nests for an hour or more each day and pushes other chickens out of the nest boxes so she can get in it. She is extremely fidgety and will move from box to box or make several nests on the coop floor. Despite all the nesting she doesn't produce an egg.

She is eating and seems otherwise perfectly happy and healthy.

Is this normal?

2. Chili22

Chili22 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    Chickens are usually mature after 6 months right?
    So I would think, if she's just starting out, there would be some inconsistency in her laying at the beginning. Maybe she's just getting into the routine.
    If that's the case, I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you see other unusual behaviours like abnormal food and water consumption, and any other signs of illness.
    I can't say I'm an expert in any way, but I've never been too worried about my girls laying routines unless they're struggling to lay or showing other signs of illness.

3. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    my chciks hatched at the beginging of august last year when shud they start layin one of the chicks is very vocal but i dunno when they shud lay ??

4. Chili22

Chili22 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    I would say it would take at around at least 5-6 months. A lot depends on the breed, since some can mature slower than others. So I would think they should start pretty soon.

5. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    one is a minorca rooster cross an black orpington mother and the other is a mystery white chciekn from black minorca father and frm some hen no knows about and the white chcik has a few spots of black half of its beak is black the other half yellow and then her feet are the same its weird

6. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA

Hey Rick, Remember me? We chatted back when we got our girls...got my first egg this past Sunday none Monday then 2 yesterday not sure who is laying...but at lunchtime I went out and 1 of my barred rocks was in a nesting box - going out soon to check for an egg.

As to your question, I think your chicken is "normal" usually takes them a few days or so to get into a regular laying rhythm...any change?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by