Trout in the Duck's Pond

deenamr

Songster
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
Central Oregon
We are digging a big pond in the spring for my irrigation water. My plan was to then fence it and put a duck house in and make it an irrigation/duck pond. Now the boyfriend (very likely future husband) who is digging the pond wants to make it a trout pond. Can and will the ducks and trout co-habitat successfully?

Perhaps stocking with bass would be what you're after. I'm not all that much into fish, but we had neighbors who stocked a large pond with bass back when I was young, as I recall.

Check your state game regulations before you do this ...

Our neighbors had the stocked pond, raised deer, pheasants, etc. and I recall they had to get a lot of permits for the things that normally were classified as game/wildlife.

Last edited:
Don't know about the duck cohabitation question, but trouts can be kept in ponds, but they require more than just putting them in the pond and forgetting about them.

True ... the people we knew with the bass pond had to also stock it with feeder fish. I don't know what else went in to maintaining it, though.

I know 3 people in my area that have trout ponds. They need moving cold water. We will need to install 2 pumps, 1 small pond, 1 large pond, a waterfall between the two and an aerator (not sure on the spelling) to add oxygen to the water. I would be just as happy with blue gills - I like them but the BF wants trout. I am just hoping we don't get it stocked then have the ducks eat them all.

Congrats on the pond...I would love one. You need water 60 or below optimum for trout and they need aeration such as moving water, waterfall etc etc. Also, trout have two very sharp fang like teeth in the front of their mouth and they do eat meat (ie shrimp and etc) so I would watch my ducks' feet carefully if the trout get big or population is high.

Sounds very cool! And you've obviously done your homework. Trout are a pain to keep, but if you're committed to it--go for it! The ducks *will* eat baby fish, so if your pond is overstocked with ducks, your trout may not be able to reproduce effectively. However, keeping ducks and fish together is a time-honored way to produce a large quantity of food, so it can definitely be done (though I'm not sure whether trout is what is usually used for the purpose). The fish will actually eat duck poop. The thing about trout, though, is that they like very clean water... which ducks are not good at. So, I dunno... have you tried a google search to see if anyone has done it before? I hope it works out for you. I like trout better than bass for eating, but not enough to go to that much trouble, lol. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom