True Chocolates

shadowmane

Songster
7 Years
Feb 20, 2012
China Grove, North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
In the future, I would like to add turkeys to my backyard flock. I've decided that I would like the Chocolate, given its history down here in the South. I know it really don't matter if you're just raising meat birds, but I haven't really been able to find what I'm looking for with my search-fu. Does anyone know of a reputable authentic Chocolate breeder or hatchery? I would really like to order some this coming fall for next spring if I can get it past tier one approval (from the wifie).

Color does matter with meat birds. Bronze birds have dark pin feathers and the carcass doesn't look as clean as lighter feathered breeds like the whites. Bourbon reds and Jersey buffs have the advantage of darker plumage than the whites, but with lighter pin feathers that leave a nice clean bird when plucked.

As for where to get good chocolates, I have no idea. I like the red birds. You might check Justin Porter in Indiana. He raises a wide variety and has high quality birds. http://www.porterturkeys.com/chocolate.htm

I had a nice chocolate hen before someone took a bolt cutter to my gate lock and stole her
somad.gif

try here:
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chocolate_turkey.html

I've bought lots of ducks and chicks from them, but no turkeys so far. happy with everything I purchased, but I'm a utility type - not a show type, so they may or may not fit your needs.

I've checked that site out. He says himself there that he cross-bred to get his chocolates. I'm looking for the true bird, not someone's cross-breed to re-create the bird.

What I actually did was take the available chocolates "crossed up as they were" and bred out genes that should not be in them.
This was a project that took several years of selective breeding to get them back to a pure state.
What I have now are as pure as you are going to get.

Kevin

Porter's Rare Heritage Turkeys

Back
Top Bottom