True or False? Olive egg genetics.

True or False?

• Total voters
But when I look up "centimorgan," it is a measurement of the rate of crossover
Yes, centimorgans is a measure of the rate of recombination. "Adjacent" meaning P is adjacent to O has another entire meaning. Adjacent genes should show low rates of recombination. If P and O are adjacent, why do they show a 4 or 5 percent rate of recombination. Sorry, I'm thinking this through and have not necessarily phrased it correctly. The disparity is a posited crossover rate of 4% for two genes that are adjacent. How on earth do you get that rate of crossover when genes are that near each other?

"Adjacent" meaning P is adjacent to O has another entire meaning. Adjacent genes should show low rates of recombination. If P and O are adjacent, why do they show a 4 or 5 percent rate of recombination.

I've found a 2018 research article that states the oocyanin mutation is "adjacent" to P (pea comb). This suggests a far lower rate of of crossover than the 4% stated.
Do you have a link to this article? I haven't been able to find it to read.

I would question what they mean by "adjacent." The house that is adjacent to my home is not smack up against it, but there are no houses in between. So if they just mean there are no other known genes in between, we might not have a contradiction. (But they might have already addressed that in the article.)

Or if we were able to find the 1939 work that found 5 centimorgans, we could check how many birds they were working with. If they had only a small number, their percent crossover might be way off.

Or if we were able to find the 1939 work that found 5 centimorgans, we could check how many birds they were working with. If they had only a small number, their percent crossover might be way off.

There has been countless research after that for the better part of the last 80 years, all of them confirm the average 4 cM distance

If any of that is online, can you give a link?

I cannot seem to find it with any of my searches, and I see that DarJones hasn't found it either.

Let me try to find a resent research, but here is a link on 1% Recombination = 1 cM regardless of allele location(the rule is an Universal Rule, for genes on the same chromosome or on different Chromosome and it will not exceed 50%)
https://www.khanacademy.org/science/ap-biology/heredity/non-mendelian-genetics/a/linkage-mapping

This one its a pretty good one(circa 2000), I cant link it since I am using a Phone but here is the screenshot of the PDF research(if you are using a Phone you will need a PDF reader)
Screenshot_20210428-130344_Chrome.jpg

Also their results..
Screenshot_20210428-130242_Foxit PDF.jpg

I would say that its pretty hard to argue against that type of research..

Back
Top Bottom