True or False? Olive egg genetics.

True or False?

• Total voters
Pics
Thanks, but I'm talking about a lot more detailed genetics that that. Basically, I'd love to have a breakdown of each gene on chromosome 1 along with a commented map showing what it does and how it fits in with the rest of the genome.
I would narrow down that to the Short Arm of the Chicken chromosome 1

For Example Oocyan allele(p+, P) is SLCO1B3, other genes here:
Screenshot_20210428-205304_Chrome.jpg

https://www.researchgate.net/figure...k-bar-represents-the-short-arm_fig2_235381057

Then you can find what each mutations, for example
Screenshot_20210428-210102_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210428-205912_Chrome.jpg

One of the aspects of pea comb that causes problems is that it is dominant over straight comb. You can still usually tell that a bird is homozygous pea comb by the size and structure of the comb. Given the low crossover rate, always breeding from pea comb birds is one way to select for blue egg layers.

What about the size and structure of the pea comb tells you the birds is homozygous pea comb?

I ask because these Whiting True Blue I got last fall have a mess of different comb traits, and also lay green eggs, and I wonder if this could help fix the egg color problems in the next generation.

What about the size and structure of the pea comb tells you the birds is homozygous pea comb?
The big weird ones are usually heterozygotes.

The small, tidy ones are usually homozygotes.

You can also look at the wattles, because homozygous pea comb reduces wattle size quite a bit. (Does not work on birds with beards, because beards also reduce wattle size.)

I ask because these Whiting True Blue I got last fall have a mess of different comb traits, and also lay green eggs, and I wonder if this could help fix the egg color problems in the next generation.

Sorry, it won't really help with that.

The green comes from having a brown layer over the blue egg shell.
As far as we know, the genes for brown on the shell are not linked to any comb type.

Having a bunch of different comb types tells you right off that these birds are heterozygous for different traits on chromosome 1 and possibly on chromosome 7. Given that they also lay green eggs, you can state up front that they are NOT Whiting True Blues. They might be Whiting Greens.

If you want to sort out the genetics, pick the birds with the smallest tidiest pea comb and use them to produce the next generation.

Egg color is going to be a problem. If they are producing green eggs, they have the porphyrin biopath turned on. This is very difficult to turn off. You might get lucky and raise chicks from the birds you have and find a few that lay blue eggs. At best guess, the probability is only 1 in 16 so you will have to raise a LOT of chicks to make any progress. It might be better to get a round of Whiting True Blues from McMurray.

Back
Top Bottom