True or Old Wive's Tale???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by txreddirtgirl, Nov 28, 2011.

1. txreddirtgirl

txreddirtgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    Someone told me that if I had a White Leghorn rooster with access to Amaracauna (or easter egger) Hens that their eggs would always be white. Is this true?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The pullet offspring would lay white eggs? Is that your question? What you asked can be taken a few different ways. Can you clarify?

3. txreddirtgirl

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    If my white leghorn rooster mated with my EE hen, would that hen lay white eggs due to the white leghorn sperm? or would she continue to lay colored eggs as usual? Sorry for the confusion!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No, sperm from a rooster cannot change the egg color of the hen. A white egg layer lays white, a brown egg layer lays brown, regardless of the rooster involved.

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I was told depending if the hen carried both colored genes the hen will lay a colored egg just lighter but if only 1 gene they will lay white eggs. Dont know if thats true all I know is that my neighbor had me hatch out 4 from a leghorn/ EE cross and they are starting to lay white eggs.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Oh my no, the rooster cannot affect the color of egg a hen lays in any way, shape, or form.

What he CAN affect is the color of eggs his potential offspring lay.

He is carrying the genes for white eggs, which is a recessive. So if the EE female is carry the white egg gene as well (plausable since EEs are so mixed and can lay eggs of any color), it's possible she and he will have white egg-laying offspring.

It is more likely, however, that the offspring will lay either blue, green, or brown eggs, depending on what genes the mother has.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:X 2

8. txreddirtgirl

Apr 28, 2011
    Decatur, Tx
    Thank y'all!! When the woman told me that I thought it sounded kinda strange.........wanted to run it by all of the experts here! [​IMG] Appreciate it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by