TruGreen Mistakenly Sprayed my Free Range Area - What do I do?

plasticlobster

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
I'm livid.

I have a fenced-off backyard with a pool and whatnot that is my ducks' domain. I got the ducks in March, and I subscribe to some TruGreen services (Lawn fertilization and Moquito spraying). I explicitly specified to them once the ducks went outside that my backyard was no longer to be sprayed for mosquitoes (I never allowed them to fertilize the backyard, as it was originally just for my dogs).

I get jerked out of bed this morning hearing a leaf blower sound outside my bedroom door. I peek out and see someone I've never seen before just spraying down all the shrubs my ducks nibble on all day. I run outside and ask him what he's doing. He says "Your mosquito application" and the conversation unfolded.

From what I understand he sprayed the entire perimeter of the yard, all the shrubs, etc.

Here's information on the chemical used:
TALSTAR PROFESSIONAL (BIFENTHRIN) EPA# 279-3206

My ducks are still in their coop. I'm not sure what to do. I'm tempted to leave them inside all day or until mid-afternoon when everything dries up, but does anyone have any advice or have any specific understanding of how dangerous this chemical would be if they ingested it?

Thanks.

I don't know anything about the chemical, but I wouldn't let dogs or ducks out near it until you get more information.

Well I hope I answered my own question... According to the EPA label, this chemical is acceptable to spray around livestock/poultry and can be sprayed directly in their house as long as it's dry before they return.

"Allow TalstarOne treatment to dry before applying disinfectants. DO NOT apply TalstarOne as a general surface spray when animals are present in the facility. Allow applications to dry before restocking the facility. Treatment may be made to cracks and crevices when animals are present. DO NOT apply TalstarOne to any animal feed, water, or watering equipment. DO NOT contaminate any animal feed, food, or water in and around livestock, poultry, or pet housing when making applications."

Though I'm still on the fence about whether or not they should be nibbling on the plants back there any time soon. I may lock them in their run with some "I'm sorry" treats today.

I spoke to the national pesticide hotline. She assured me that the best course is to keep them away from it until it's dry (It's been a couple hours, it's dry now). She cited specific studies where they fed this pesticide directly to mallard ducks, and it had no effect on them. This pesticide is also "low" toxicity to non-aquatic animals (Very toxic to fish and frogs).

I still gave Trugreen an earful and cancelled all my services, but I'm at least convinced they're going to be fine. I thoroughly washed out their pool in case any drifted, but I think I'm in the clear (fingers crossed).

Whew.

I keep mine penned for the day the lawn has been sprayed. Once it's dry or settled, I will let them out the next day. We all keep off the lawn as much as we can until the next day. Hope that helps.

I'm livid.

I have a fenced-off backyard with a pool and whatnot that is my ducks' domain. I got the ducks in March, and I subscribe to some TruGreen services (Lawn fertilization and Moquito spraying). I explicitly specified to them once the ducks went outside that my backyard was no longer to be sprayed for mosquitoes (I never allowed them to fertilize the backyard, as it was originally just for my dogs).

I get jerked out of bed this morning hearing a leaf blower sound outside my bedroom door. I peek out and see someone I've never seen before just spraying down all the shrubs my ducks nibble on all day. I run outside and ask him what he's doing. He says "Your mosquito application" and the conversation unfolded.

From what I understand he sprayed the entire perimeter of the yard, all the shrubs, etc.

Here's information on the chemical used:
TALSTAR PROFESSIONAL (BIFENTHRIN) EPA# 279-3206

My ducks are still in their coop. I'm not sure what to do. I'm tempted to leave them inside all day or until mid-afternoon when everything dries up, but does anyone have any advice or have any specific understanding of how dangerous this chemical would be if they ingested it?

Thanks.
We had true green spray once a month back at our old house and never had any issues with the ducks. We would just keep them in their coop/run for a day to let it dry.

Back
Top Bottom