Truth or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lostsoulhelpmejebus, Oct 2, 2008.

1. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    I have always heard never feed layers fruit as it somehow causes them to quit laying? Is this true?

I have 2 crabapple trees bending over with the weight of their fruit...would love to throw them to the chickens but afraid to find out the hard way if fruit is a bad thing? Anyone familiar with this???

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There's a whole big thread on this going on in the feeding time section.
    IMO, it's an old wive's tale. We have all kinds of fruit that is falling off the trees and the chickens are helping themselves to it; peaches, apples, figs. Every day this week I've had a new hen "come on line" as I call starting to lay. Nope, hasn't slowed this flock down a bit.

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Gee, I sure hope not........they had an apple today. [​IMG]

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    the only time i've heard it did stop them is when they ate A LOT of fruit,

-Daniel

5. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    They get at my blackberry bushes all the time, I aint noticed nothin different with 'em.

6. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I really doubt it.... I give my chickens, peas, corn, peaches, plums, tomatoes, bananas, apples, pears...*breath*...carrots, lettuce, ect EVERYDAY!!!!

Yeah, my girls are spoiled.... but I've been getting 2 eggs a day for 6 days straight and only have 2 laying pullets! Its GREAT, and they deserve it!

7. lostsoulhelpmejebus

lostsoulhelpmejebus Incubating Fool

Sep 23, 2008
    Roanoke, Illinois
    Thanks for the reassurance...my girl will be eating crabapples, not too many.

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

my girls and guys have been pigging out all summer on dropped pears from the tree in their run. They've not shown any signs of this having been bad for them in any way. They're plump & sassy and act perfectly content. [​IMG]

9. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I'll just add my experience. We have had plums and pears falling on the ground this year, and the chickens really love them, especially the pears. There has been no decrease in laying.

10. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Seriousbill, what kinda chicken is that on your avatar?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by