TRY THIS if Chicken Attacked by Raccoon, Ripped leg off

Oh ok so they weren’t locked up. In many suburban areas there’s more raccoons than in rural areas. I would get rid of the majority of them if I were you.
I’m not trying to be mean or anything but chicken wire isn’t good enough. Eventually you’ll have problems. I’ve seen some determined raccoons pull off some crazy stuff.
I would consider asking your dad if your not capable or unwilling to trap the raccoons.
Sucks the chicken still died.

Thanks for the advice -- will definitely reinforce where needed! And oh no, I will definitely be trapping and killing that raccoon. That one and all it's cousins ...

hello… ima, very sorry to hear about your experience. A couple nights ago, the new chicken coop I built was raided by a - well, we aren’t sure. There is both skunk and raccoon scat outside, but I don’t think it would have been possible for either animal to get in. Maybe a weasel? Anyway. We lost 6 birds and had one wounded. It has been slowly recovering in a rubber made tote in our house since.

We were nervous to touch it too much because if I had a break, etc, we might make it worse than it already was. Today, it seemed happy enough to try and we were shocked to discover it was missing a leg. Thigh and everything. Anyway, it was untreated, but seems to be in good condition now. We now debate if it will be too much for the chicken to go through its life with just one leg. After reading your post, we have decided that it will be fine. Our chicken is about 6 weeks old, so should be able to adapt to a hop along life style fairly well. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Additionally, the coop was built because the one we got is stuck in transit. The truck broke / etc, so… I built a 16 foot run and mini coop. Works out well. But apparently not quite as secure as I had thought. Currently reenforcimg around it to make it predator proof. (Except bears, can’t really protect fully against them on a budget)

Back
Top Bottom