1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Try to till yor chicken's Run!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Omran, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello, Today I got my gardentiller out and tilled the chicken run, boy it was very nice after I got done and the smell is gone, so for you guys who has tillers and dirt runs, give it a try you will like it.

Omran

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My chickens have been tilling the run lately. We cannot believe how much they've been digging recently!!!

3. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I would have to tie up, blind fold, seal inside an impenetrable container of some sort and otherwise contain my chickens to till up anything. They would be trying to ride the blades in hopes of magical sliced and diced worms!

4. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Do they like to sit in all the uneven dirt? I bet it does get rid of all the poop though.

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] So true!

6. South Hill Chickens

South Hill Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Spokane, WA
    One man's rototiller is another chicken's food processor.

7. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll bet your chickens loved it! We were out this morning bringing in fresh dirt to fill in around the posts where the earth had settled over the winter and you would have thought we'd laid out a smorgasbord. They were digging it out of the holes as fast as we were putting it in. We finally gave up. [​IMG]

8. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I was just shoveling and digging in my run as I wanted to spread a light layer if lime later after I put them away. It was going to rain so i figured it would wash it in good.

I could not shovel and turn dirt over as the girls were trying to ride the shovel to get to any worms I was un earthing ! [​IMG]

I finally had to lock them up in the coop 1 They were driving me crazy [​IMG]

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    This is a great idea! My DH will be thrilled to see this added to his Honey Do list!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I have been doing similar today, and even with a slow old spade they think they can go down with it, find the treasures before the others, and it is now a game to take a ride on the clump of earth being dug.

I am terrified of hitting one of them, but they are loving this game, it could take me forever, but when I put them back in the run which I have moved, they walk back and forward watching me and chattering. Let me out Mum!

I can see this is going to be a very interesting summer:thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by