trying the eggspriment in germany

florasbell

Songster
8 Years
May 1, 2011
germany
ok so i have read that some of you in america have had the experiance of being able to hatch store brought eggs i thought this was a great idea and a great way to test run my new home made incubator for the first time with eggs.

so iv been to a couple stores and brought the most fresh egg i can find which happens to be 7 days from when they were layed 6 from each store so that 12 and im going to get 6 from a friend which i know are fertile i think this will be a great to compare with if my incubator is up to scratch and if not i havent wasted money on good quality eggs im going to mark each egg with what store they come from and the date layed and set .

the egg are currently now sitting fat end up on the side waiting for them to warm to house temp and to rest for a few hours while the bator heats up then i will candle to see for bad ones then put them in to start making babies (hopefully)

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
Hope all goes well just don't get discouraged is all I can say. SOmetimes we have great hatches and sometimes we don't it's all up to nature

im not getting my hopes up for babies as i know they are shop brought but i thought it would be a good way to see how my new bator will cope with eggs in and if i get babies great but if not then no heart ach

You'll do good then your already thinking in the right direction. I hope the bator works great for you and wish you many successful hatches. Oh and I wish you all the best on the sale of your house in London so you can live your dream in wonderful Germany. I was finally able to do the same here in the states back in October

How many store bought eggs did you got?If you got a dozen I'd suggest you crack one for omelette or something and see if it is fertile or not.Then you will now something more.

Good Luck!What about yours that were about to hatch may 21?My eggs have not hatched yet.

Maybe the OP will totally luck out and hatch out some jubilee orps!
celebrate.gif

(not)
gig.gif

Still, I'm interested in this thread. Have you cracked out any of the eggs to see if they are fertile?

i haven't had anything from my eggs so far still waiting iv been trying to find things to do so im not sitting with my head in the window all day long lol

i have brought 12 eggs 6 from to different stores and im getting some off a friend tomo which should be fertile as he has hens and roos weather they have been doing there job or not tho

i haven't checked any yet was thinking a bout it but keep thinking what if i crack open the only one that was fertile i think i will candle and take out the ones with big air sacs ect....
then pray for the rest
if i check they are fertile and none grow id be so annoyed
but if i dont crack them open and i do get one grow it would be a great surprise id rather have the surprise then be cross with myself

Last edited:
Hatchable chicken eggs can be obtained at times from specialty stores. They have to be free ranged or local farm raised and have access to a rooster.
Eggs bought from a normal grocery store will never hatch as the chickens have never seen a rooster in their entire short lived lives.
It's kinda sad if you do research into what happens to them.
They go into small cages with other pullets...lay for a year then they become soup once they stop producing at top rate.
What store did you buy the eggs from?
I believe the ones here that sometimes can hatch are from trader joe stores.

Great way to check the temperature and humidity stability of your incubator though.
Filling the incubator with grocery store eggs and running for a few days then replacing with fertile eggs helps keep your temp and humidity steady.

last time i brought when i cracked them in the pan 5 out of 6 were fertile so i brought the same eggs again free range from rewe which over here is one of the expensive stores then i brought 6 free range from aldi a cheapy store both have the layed date on the package 8 days ago both free range from farms on the other side of germany

its really just a test for the bator im not looking to achive any babies but if i do great

i put the egg in the bator last night at about 8 and it has so far held steady at 99/100 in the bator and the joining hather 96 i hoping over the days the hatcher will slowly heat up more to correct temps

i candled the eggs before i put them in and i had a very small (tiny) air sell in some and none that were yellow to look at they all were red to sight and had a nice formed yolk.

Back
Top Bottom