Trying to be prepared!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Soriyak, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Soriyak

Soriyak In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Northern TX
    Hey All,
    I am very new to keeping chickens, I don't actually have any yet, planning on getting some this summer. At the moment I'm trying to do all my research and make sure I get the right breeds for my climate. I have 3 children, so it would be great if they were also docile and friendly. I'm also trying to figure out how best to find a balance between happy healthy free ranged chickens, and chickens that won't be picked off by predators. Been doing quite a bit of research and realizing how much I DON'T know. lol I have found soo much useful information here, and I'm so happy to be part of this forum, everyone seems very friendly and helpful!! I have many interests my favorite hobby has been my saltwater tanks and my seahorses, which I realize I might have to minimize since living in the country makes power outs more frequent and longer, which my saltwater babies don't bear well. :( I am very excited about my chickens though, and can't wait for some fresh delicious eggs. lol :)

2. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Here’s a good link where you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

007Sean, KikisGirls, N F C and 2 others like this.
  3. FrankieDoodle

FrankieDoodle Poppy-Dog

Jul 29, 2017
    California
    :frow Welcome to BYC!!! :woot

4. Granny Hatchet

Granny Hatchet Tastes like chicken

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    well Im gonna skip right over that chicken thing and go straight to your Tanks ! Sea horses ! Of course your going to share some pictured right ? :bow:pop Im jealous.
    I had sea monkeys once.. :oops:
    :welcome

5. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    welcome-group.gif
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens!

You will be very excited when you get that first egg!

6. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Indeed there are many helpful, knowledgeable folks here and I’m sure you’ll find this site a very useful resource. I hope you enjoy it as much as we all do :thumbsup

7. Soriyak

Soriyak In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Northern TX
    72902623-734B-402A-BB21-153046BEBFA8.jpeg BD4B8E19-C419-45B8-9975-219AED67D69C.jpeg D59A119E-96ED-4293-9ECC-E01CF08F4802.jpeg Lol, sea monkeys (brine shrimp)is the main food I hatched as food when I had babies. I’ll try to get some pics on here I suck at doing this, lol. The pics are bit older haven’t made many lately. The last ones is of babies. I hope I don’t get in trouble since this is a chicken forum. Lol

Attached Files:

8. Soriyak

Soriyak In the Brooder

Apr 1, 2018
    Northern TX
    Thanks for the warm welcomes!!! I'm very excited about being here and my soon to be chickens. lol

9. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Seahorses! I've always loved them, such interesting animals! Wonderful photos, don't worry about getting in trouble for sharing them (you're going to find tons of animal lovers here...animals of all kinds).

It's nice to have you here, best of luck with your poultry project and if you ever have questions, always feel free to ask!

007Sean, KikisGirls and ronott1 like this.
  10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    007Sean, N F C and ronott1 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: