Trying to build a coop need some help

a123andpoof

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Okay so I am in the planning stage of this and will see what happens. I am hoping to get a couple show Cochins. They will be seperate from my other coop since I would like to keep feathers looking nice and such. Anyways I am thinking the coop will be made of pallets since I think I can get some free ones. I am trying to make this as cheap as possible. Anyways my plans.

A coop big enough for at least 4 standard cochin hens. Size appox 3ft x 4-5ft is that big enough? I do live in MN so I plan on insulating the walls. The floor will be wire and underneath is a pullout tray to collect the droppings. In the winter I will put down straw to keep their feet warm. I want a metal roof, and large door on one side for gathering eggs, and doing cleaning.

Now for the run I am planning a lower run the coop will be high so I they can go underneath. I am not 100% sure if it will be movable. Then I am planning on an upper run. From what I have read with Cochins before showing you obviously want their feet and feet feathers clean so i was planning on the upper run having a heavy metal floor so they can be outside, but stay clean before shows. Now because I have never shown would it be nessesary to have the upper run? Or is it just a dumb idea? I kinda figure though if I have to wash 2 to 4 hens for show I dont need them going and taking a dust bath when I am done with them. It just seemed like a good idea but maybe not.

Anything you can see that could use improvement? I have never built a thing in my life so this will be an interesting challenge.

I would think their feet would freeze to a metal floor. Metal is great for roofs but I wouldn't use it in any form for floors where temps go below freezing.

I would also not insulate. What they need is adequate ventilation for cold days, which means good air exchange high enough above them that it does not create a draft on them but allows humidity and ammonia out. It is very difficult to do this in your climate in a small coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

I feel the same as for not using solid metal for a floor. It way work fine tho. We use sand. Good clean sand on the ground. It may not be as clean as a metal floor but nice sand is better than the red clay we have here. if you use metal i would cover it tho. In the end we use what we have that's cheap and works. I think you will be fine tho if you most use metal. As long as the birds can get off the metal if its to cold.

Back
Top Bottom