Trying to catch a stray chicken

jmysgrl08

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 22, 2013
Aylett, VA
My son lives on a busy road, corner lot in a suburban neighborhood that does not allow chickens. A few months ago a stray chicken showed up and has been living in his yard. We have been feeding her and were starting to get close to her but then a couple nights ago she was attacked by something (coon or possum?) and now is so skittish we can't get within 20 feet of her. Is there such a thing as a chicken trap? I would like to bring her to my house so she can have a safe home but don't know how to catch her. We have 7 hens ourselves but have room for more. Would love some advice

Something we did as kids for fun. This will take some patience but if you really want to catch her…..

Take a fairly large cardboard box. Prop one end up maybe 10” to 12” high on one end with a stick. A long string is tied to that stick.

Set up a chair in the shade well away from that box. Bring a good book. That other end of that string is near the chair and the string is pulled kind of tight. No slack in it. Practice jerking the string to bring the box down a couple of times to get the feel for it.

Put whatever you have been feeding her under the box after you prop it back up. Maybe scatter just a little bit around to get her attention. Sit down and read the book, occasionally checking to see what the chicken is doing. I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.

Something we did as kids for fun. This will take some patience but if you really want to catch her…..

Take a fairly large cardboard box. Prop one end up maybe 10” to 12” high on one end with a stick. A long string is tied to that stick.

Set up a chair in the shade well away from that box. Bring a good book. That other end of that string is near the chair and the string is pulled kind of tight. No slack in it. Practice jerking the string to bring the box down a couple of times to get the feel for it.

Put whatever you have been feeding her under the box after you prop it back up. Maybe scatter just a little bit around to get her attention. Sit down and read the book, occasionally checking to see what the chicken is doing. I’ll leave the rest to your imagination.

If you have access to a fishing net, or swimming pool net, you could try netting her. If you sit quietly in the yard, she will get curious and come check you out. Some bread pieces will lure her to you. If you want to save her, you need to get her locked up at night or the creatures will come back looking for her. Maybe put a dog cage in the yard up near the house and she will come looking for shelter. Just be sure to close and secure the cage when it comes dark. Hope this helps.

Go out 30 minutes before dark. Watch where she goes to roost for the night and just pluck her off of the branch. You can easily pick up the wildest chicken once they've gone to bed.

Go out 30 minutes before dark. Watch where she goes to roost for the night and just pluck her off of the branch. You can easily pick up the wildest chicken once they've gone to bed.

X2
goodpost.gif
If she still has Wile Coyote escape syndrome you can do exactly like PC says above and add a fishermans dip net. If you can't catch her then she ain't meant to be caught.

Dunno if you have this in your yard, but I've found chickens will run easily into "corners." By this I mean, corner of the fenced in backyard, corner of the house where garage n house make an angle... Maybe herd it into garage n capture it there? Catching a chicken can be done with 2-3 people fairly easy if you run at it with your arms out. Fishing nets work well, too.

Thanks for all of the advice. We are happy to report "Destiny" has been captured and is now in with her new chicken family in the country. My son and I had tried to corner her, run her into the house and setting up a crate but the trick that finally worked was the propped up box and some luck. She looks pretty rough but now that she is with us I'm sure she'll fill out and fatten up. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom