Trying to combine 2 coops

DerSchoeneBahnhof

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2022
San Francisco Bay Area, CA
I have 2 coops, one about 40 sqft with 4 hens - 2 turkens, 1 faverolle, 1 golden sexlink (about 5 months old, they started laying eggs). The other coop, 32 sqft, has just 1 Rhode Island (2 years old). They are connected by a gateway but so far still blocked by hardware mesh.

I tried to cut out the hardware mesh and let the 2 flocks combine (they have seen each other for weeks now). This didn't go too well. Rhode Island is just too nasty and already inflected bleeding wounds to one of the turkens' neck. So back to square one, I put all the chickens back into their respective coop and installed a wooden plank to block the gateway.

Given Rhode Island's personality I wonder if I should just keep the 2 coops separate. Does anyone have experience with such assertive birds?

Thanks!
CG

PS: sqft listed here are for the runs, they don't include living quarters.

EDIT: spelling mistakes

Pardon me for having trouble with slang but I assume RIR = Rhode Island Red and peepers = chicken?

I initially raised RIR with 2 other Sussex and they more or less got along. Then I lost the 2 Sussex in heat waves. RIR didn't flinch (well ok, she was panting heavily) in 43 C heat.

I guess I'll leave Rhode Island alone in her coop. Heartless would be a good way to describe her. Her egg production is generally outstanding, except when too hot.

I'm in favor to keep both coops separate.

Only because you can utilize one of the coop for a hospital, chick grow out space, or tempering chickens with bullying and behavioral issues.

Back
Top Bottom