Trying to decide which Muscovy to keep

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
My 5 muscovy ducklings turned out to be 4 drakes and 1 hen.
he.gif
I am trying to decide which drake to keep. I am basing this on behavior and looks. My 2 blue drakes are VERY flighty. They run when I move toward them. I have a black and white and a black barred too. The black and white was the first to eat from my hand and even after wing clipping returned for treats. I love the look of the barred though. My problem is that the barred drake's tail points downward. Instead of being in a straight line with his body.

Here is a pic.
43796_muscovy10-11_014.jpg

Is this a defect? Should I exclude him from consideration?

Last edited:
When you decide to sell the drakes you aren't going to keep, can you PM me? I'm moving out onto a farm very very soon and I am looking for muscovies of either sex right now.

Quote:
Sure. I should be deciding soon. I know that they are reaching maturity and I don't want my lone girl molested.
lol.png

Last edited:
My concern though is this particular male carrying a defective gene. I know that some breeds like runners can have their tails going to the side, (sway tail?) and it is not advised to breed them. I don't plan on breeding to sell, though I may and I would not want to pass on a defective bird.

Last edited:
Being i just had to get rid of drake because of it's aggressive nature, i'd go by personality especially since you said your not breeding to sell, personality would be my main priority.

Back
Top Bottom