Trying to design and build my own chicken coop

JustCallMeMoe

In the Brooder
Jan 9, 2016
Nebraska
So I'm trying to design my own coop to build for 6 chickens. I think I have what I want but I want to make sure that I got everything right before I actually build it.

I want to apologize for my sketch. Its not exactly pretty. Just know that it looks better in my head. The roost is 4 feet deep and 6 feet across. The top view shows the roosts (2 of them) 12 inches from the wall and 12 inches apart. They will be 12 inches off the floor as well. The front will have 2 doors that take up most of the wall for easy clean up. Each door will have a small window. The left side has an egg box divided into 3 spaces under a window. The right side just has the door for the chickens and it will slide to the side to open. The back side will have a 4 inch by 5 foot opening (covered with hardware cloth) for ventilation. The whole coop will be 2 feet off the ground on 4×4s. Did I miss anything? Do I need to do something differently? Any pointers would be appreciated! Thank you!

be sure to make your roost bars decidedly higher than your nesting boxes. you may already have that planned, couldn't tell from your sketch.

is there a bottom on your coop? doors are nice, but maybe a tray would would better for pulling the poop out? I'd still keep the doors.

Yeah sorry. It was drawn up while I was half asleep. Lol I have the roosts being 12 inches off the bottom and the 12 inch nesting boxes 6 inches from the bottom. Is that enough of a difference or should I raise the roosts a little? Thanks for the tips!

I'd raise the roosts more. If they aren't significantly higher than the nests you may end up cleaning a lot of feces out of the nests each morning.
You also want to arrange the chicken door, roosts and nests so the chickens don't have to walk under the roost to lay an egg when they come in during the day. That would have them tracking feces into the nests.
For 6 birds, 2 nests may be sufficient. They'll all end up just using one anyway.
Are 6 chickens all you're allowed where you live or is that all you want. Trust me, chicken math is real. You'll want more before you know it.
If you're allowed more, I'd build it big enough for 10. I once thought I wanted 6, ended up bringing 10 home. 3 months later I had 100.
Make sure all openings (like your sliding door) don't have any gaps larger than 1/2". Weasels, mink and rats can squeeze through a 1" opening.

When planning to acquire chickens, always plan ahead for a second housing option. Eventually, you'll have a sick, injured, broody or new arrival that needs to be quarantined. It is much better to plan ahead for that than the moment you need it.

Last edited:
I'd raise the roosts more. If they aren't significantly higher than the nests you may end up cleaning a lot of feces out of the nests each morning.
You also want to arrange the chicken door, roosts and nests so the chickens don't have to walk under the roost to lay an egg when they come in during the day. That would have them tracking feces into the nests.
For 6 birds, 2 nests may be sufficient. They'll all end up just using one anyway.
Are 6 chickens all you're allowed where you live or is that all you want. Trust me, chicken math is real. You'll want more before you know it.
If you're allowed more, I'd build it big enough for 10. I once thought I wanted 6, ended up bringing 10 home. 3 months later I had 100.
Make sure all openings (like your sliding door) don't have any gaps larger than 1/2". Weasels, mink and rats can squeeze through a 1" opening.

When planning to acquire chickens, always plan ahead for a second housing option. Eventually, you'll have a sick, injured, broody or new arrival that needs to be quarantined.
this is why I asked about a floor. if there is a floor, I'd move the nesting box, so they access from the under side of the coop. It will also make easier access for you to gather eggs, if you use a flip top roof.

There's no limitations on the number of hens but we can't have roosters. We just wanted to start out with 6 to make sure we really wanted to do this. I didn't want to get 12 just to find out I'm not cut out for it. So basically make it bigger and have the nests close to the door? I think I can manage that.

It doesn't take any longer to care for 12 than it does 6. It is recommended to have at least 2 chickens per family member for eggs, however you'll use a lot more eggs than you do currently when you have delicious fresh eggs in your own back yard.
Also, the second autumn and each thereafter, the hens will molt taking a break from egg laying for from 1 to 4 months. It's a real bummer to go through all that effort and still need to buy eggs.

So if I get 6 chickens now and then 6 chickens next year, logically I will have only half my chickens molting at a time? Or would it be like 2 separate flocks?

Here is a picture of the coop I build. It is 4 x 4 x 4 and is 24" off the ground. I used studs and bead board with a corrugated plastic roof. Its my first time I built any thing like this. I put a roost in my coop but they like resting on the floor. I have two chickens right now and have found two is enough for me to start with. They get bored even in the large space they have. To my surprise the love an old mirror that I had left out side! its funny to watch them in front of the mirror. They love it so much I put one inside the coop and since I did. I no longer have problems with them going inside!!!

Back
Top Bottom