Trying to determine Delware gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Booswalia, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

This is Biscuit, Omlet, and Noodle. I got them from a fellow who breeds show birds.
    Trying to figure out what I have here...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is Dumpling. I'm not sure that this one is even a Delaware. It's about 5 days older than the others.

[​IMG]

2. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Top and bottom birds look like nice boys middle looks like a nice young lady.

3. Booswalia

But there are four of them.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The 3rd is the only one I'm sure is a pullet. The first one and last one are cockerels. Not sure about the other one yet, though. Try again in a week or so. Males show themselves early in Delawares, as you can see by the one who is slightly older.

5. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    the last one is definitely a cockerel.

6. Booswalia

Thanks. I was hoping I only had one cockerel. Oh my... what to do with...

7. Booswalia

Also, I can see in the last one, with the dark marking between the shoulders, being a cockerel, but what are you seeing in the the other two possible cockerels?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  8. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    Dumpling (last one?) looks like a cockerel. I'm stealing the name noodle what a cute name. I have a RIR pullet with a crooked toe and I think that's the perfect name.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In the first one, it's just a hunch from the comb and the thick legs. I've raised numerous batches of Delaware chicks and you just get an early sense sometimes. It's not always right, but that's just my hunch right now on that one. Post pics in another week and I think it will be more clear. [​IMG]

10. Booswalia

Thanks Cynthia. I'll be back in another week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by