Trying to determine egg fertility

DonyaQuick

Songster
Jun 22, 2021
Upstate NY (Otsego county), USA
I recently incubated 8 eggs from several different hens and ended up with only 4 chicks. Three of the duds were fresh, one per day from the same hen and I still want to try to get some chicks from that hen in the near future. She never took as well to my rooster as the other hens so her eggs not developing was no huge surprise; unfortunately I think I collected the 3 from her after she had some sort of weird falling out with him, since I started seeing very obviously infertile eggs right after the ones I collected to put under a broody. My rooster is a gentle guy who won't try anything with an unreceptive hen, so I've just had to wait until they seemed to be back on good terms and then start checking fresh eggs again. I am having trouble "reading" her yolks though. I've seen other eggs show perfect bullseyes, so I do know what that looks like, but I've also seen variation in how well-formed the bullseye looks. From the hen in question, after a run of solid white dots (obviously infertile) I'm now seeing things more like the pic below, which are like a semi-circle with an off-center brighter white dot. If the pic is clear enough to tell anything, how should I be interpreting this pattern?

IMG_20220726_123258sm.jpg

That does not look fertile.
Is her bum nice and clean?
Maybe you could try some nice mood music and give them a private room...
Bummer. Well, I will keep checking her eggs when I cook with them. She's consistently my cleanest, most well-groomed hen. Assuming it's not actually some issue with her eggs, it'll just be that she's still giving him the stink-eye when he's in the mood. He's been dancing for her, tidbitting, dancing while holding treats, and most recently bringing her little bug snacks to eat while she dustbathes. She quite likes all of that now, but I guess he's still got more work to do lol.

I personally know that my rooster can handle 5 hens in a day as far as fertility goes. But before he wasn't too interested in the younger ones.

Back
Top Bottom