Trying to diagnose our sick, lethargic hen

Chicky Chicky Boom Boom

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2022
Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster..
I'm posting here because I have a sick hen named Mabel who has been ill for approximately 5 weeks now. She is isolated in our house. We have been trying to figure out her diagnosis and have tried a number of things, as well as reading and researching every possible illness. She has been having symptoms of cloacitis, sour crop, and possible mycoplasmosis (the last we're unsure of as we have another sick hen with such a possible diagnosis, more on that later).

More about Mabel. She is 15 months old, is a Lavender Orpington hen and weighs 4.4 lbs. Her symptoms include lethargy, lack of appetite, diarrhea, soft and bloated crop, occasional water leaking out of beak, shrunken and discolored comb, and lack of egg production. We have treated for Sour Crop by using the proper copper sulfate treatment process as outlined in Gail Damerow's Chicken Health Handbook. We are mixing her water daily with apple cider vinegar and electrolytes, daily syringe feeding of Nutridrench mixed with yogurt and blended regular chicken food. She ate the most yesterday topping out at about 30 mL. We have also been treating for Cloacitis by daily cleansing the cloaca with saline wash injected with a sterile plastic syringe, followed by rubbing Iodine on the vent. We sent a fecal sample to the local vet to be cultured only to find that the bacterias present were E. Coli and Proteus Mirabilis (both of which the vet considered to be normal). While her crop has improved over the weeks(especially with her new crop bra), she is still experiencing all the other symptoms. She stopped eating altogether for about 10 days, only taking dropper feedings. Then she finally started eating again (a little bit, now and then) 10 days ago but her appetite has been very small and hasn't been consistent. She looks at the food, then turns away like she just can't do it. She is more willing to eat from the dropper at this point, but it's clearly not sustainable. The diarrhea is the worst of it - sometimes milky, but more often with scant green flaky chunks and lots of clear fluid. Occasionally there have been phases where it has smelled extremely putrid, but lately it's more of a normal stinky. She sleeps a lot.

Now, we've had another recently ill hen named Indigo from the same flock, who is experiencing symptoms of Mycoplasmosis. She presented with one swollen eye, sudden onset, 10 days ago, but isn't experiencing the other symptoms of Mycoplasmosis such as the runny nose, sneezing, nasal discharge, gasping, reduced egg production etc. She has sneezed a few times, but not abnormally. She did have a few bubbles in her swollen eye at first, then they came back 3 days ago. We had been treating her solely with Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel for over a week and that was helping, but the swelling came back full force 3 days ago. We just started injecting Tylan 50, 1mL per day, 2 days ago, and are continuing the eye drops daily. Her eye swelling has started to go down again.
What we are thinking was that Mabel might be experiencing Mycoplasmosis as well, just with different symptoms? Or that the mycoplasmosis might be complicating whatever is causing Mabel's diarrhea. Could this be the case? Would it be safe to inject Mabel with Tylan 50 as well, just to see if it helps? By now, we're discussing doing this, since we have it on hand and we're unsure of what else we can do for Mabel. She used to be quite burly and now is getting frighteningly skinny and bony, poor girl. We are also wondering if it's okay to inject her in her half-starved state. Hopefully this treatment works out for Indigo, but that can be another thread entirely, and we're crossing our fingers.

We would truly appreciate any insight, advice, or feedback on Mabel. We love her so much as a pet, she is the sweetest little snuggle bug. We're worried about her, and unsure of what to do at this point but to continue the things we've been doing. I just want to see Mabel eat and poop normally again!

Let me know if you need any more info...
Thank you in advance for any advice! <3

In case you didn’t know, you can give Tylan 50 orally instead of injecting it. It can cause muscle necrosis giving it orally. Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) 3 times daily orally for 5 days.
Usually MG will cause the respiratory symptoms, eye bubbles, swollen eyelid, but it sounds like Mabel has something else going on. Could she be starting her first big molt, and having the malaise and decreased appetite of that? It does sound like she may have sour crop and cloacitis. Giving Mabel antibiotics could make that worse. Some vets will use an antibiotic in case the sour crop is bacterial, and an anti fungal medicine such as Nystatin (or Medistatin powder available online.) Some use Monistat (miconazole) cream orally if they cannot get Nystatin or Medistatin. Is her breathe bad or sour? Does her crop empty overnight? Here is azygous’ thread about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thanks for the info!
I did know Tylan could be given orally but thought it might be easier/ more effective IM. I will cease and desist immediately cause we definitely don't need more issues around here! I saw a post where someone soaked it into a little bread so we'll try that for Indigo.

Mabel did have a straight up yeast smell coming out of her beak when her crop was at it's worst a few weeks ago before the copper sulfate treatment. That cured her crop temporarily but then it got worse again until I made her a bra. Her breath isn't yeasty or stinky, but her crop does not empty entirely either. It is a little squishy. Before it was like a water balloon. I've had sour crop and impacted crop several times with other chickens from my first flock, there is no impaction... at least not in the crop. Maybe farther down was my other worry. I do believe she swallowed a stick pin in April. She acted sickly for a day or a few after that but then she bounced right back and everything was normal. I kept her inside after the pin incident and watched her poo thinking it might come out by some miracle, but not to my knowledge.

How would you go about feeding miconazole orally? The bread trick?

I don't think she is molting because her appetite is practically zilch. Although she does look longingly at my food when I'm eating.. should I be trying to feed her anything at this point? She likes spinach, she'll eat bread... but I don't want to load her up with treats instead of chicken food either, so I haven't given her much "people" food.

Back
Top Bottom