1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trying to distinguish my eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thing1thingvu, Jan 16, 2014.

1. thing1thingvu

thing1thingvu Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2013
    Hi everyone,

So I'm trying to separate out my eggs so I can get a head count of how many/which chickens are laying. Below is how I sectioned them out...does it seem safe to say three chickens are laying?[​IMG]

2. thing1thingvu

Dec 24, 2013
    Here are some more pics after we got one just now...it looks like we may have all 4 laying? One egg is speckled but the same shape and size as another that seems to have a light band around it...any thoughts[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

?

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Since things like calcium deposits (the white speckles) and even egg size can change from day to day, a better indicator is what the hen looks like. Does she have a nice, plump, red, slightly waxy looking comb? Is her vent soft and moist? Can you fit three fingers between the pelvic bones?

Here's a very helpful video:

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could also put a couple of drops of food coloring in their vents. Use a different color for each girl. When the eggs are laid, they'll have a little smudge of dye on them, which will tell you who laid what.

Its not a fun task, but if you must know and don't have time to watch...

5. thing1thingvu

Dec 24, 2013
    Do calicium spots mean that they need more calcium?

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    No, it means they have some extra [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by