Trying to figure it all out.

Question
Our intention is to let birds Free Range. I have plenty of space. We are considering a LGD. I fully expect we could loose some. But our yard has a lot of trees so hopefully birds of prey won’t be an issue.

I have no idea when or how to let them out of the coop. Don’t think they are old enough right now. But how do you let them know you want them back in the evening????
Really questioning safest way to do this.
They should be at least three months old. Also, analyze where your chickens would go if there were a hawk overhead? Do you have bushes they could hide under? Trees, unless heavily forested, would not keep them safe. Hawks will land in trees and figure out the best way to get your chickens. You can't let your chickens be bait. You are responsible for their safety.

Good morning, welcome to BYC!
I'm not sure why you don't want a rooster, but they can be invaluable when free ranging.
I consider my favorite rooster a necessity. He keeps his girls together when the range, he gathers them up and herds them into the run in the evenings. He has saved many lives by sounding the alarm when hawks are circling or ground predators are lurking. He may not fight off the predators but he sure let's us (& his girls) know when one is around.
He is a charming guy. Never mean, he loves attention. His only character flaw is that, he dislikes other roosters. He is 3 years old and I'd love to keep a few of his sons this year, but my intention is to keep him until he dies a natural death because he is a pet.
Good luck with your new flock and your free range plans!

Back
Top Bottom