Trying to figure out what 2 out of my 5 are.

mauilani

Hatching
7 Years
May 28, 2012
I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and just started off with chickens a-new. I purchased these 5 - 1 1/2 week old chicks now from a lady who in-turn purchased them from a hatchery in Iowa.. they mailed them to her.

She only had knowledge on the Rhode Island Red..
All the others she could not figure out. She told me the two large yellows were Jersey Giants and well with much research they are not. I do however have one. The dark/white winged chic is the Jersey Giant and the one with stripes is a Dark Cornish.

The list she gave me is below;
"The assortment we have includes : Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Delaware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star."

So the two yellows I have either figured to be Delawares of Orphingtons however there wings are coming out white and not red or buff.. so Delawares? They are very thick heavy and hardy chics.

Any help would be appreciated. I can also provide more pictures need be.

I live on the Big Island of Hawaii and just started off with chickens a-new. I purchased these 5 - 1 1/2 week old chicks now from a lady who in-turn purchased them from a hatchery in Iowa.. they mailed them to her.

She only had knowledge on the Rhode Island Red..
All the others she could not figure out. She told me the two large yellows were Jersey Giants and well with much research they are not. I do however have one. The dark/white winged chic is the Jersey Giant and the one with stripes is a Dark Cornish.

The list she gave me is below;
"The assortment we have includes : Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Delaware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star."

So the two yellows I have either figured to be Delawares of Orphingtons however there wings are coming out white and not red or buff.. so Delawares? They are very thick heavy and hardy chics.

Any help would be appreciated. I can also provide more pictures need be.

DOES ANYONE USE THESE FORUMS??? STILL WAITING FOR A RESPONSE?

the one on the left and the one in the middle are the two little chicks now, FULLY WHITE - yellow legs.. what are they? They are supposed to be brown laying only chickens.

Sorry, it is really hard to tell at this young age (at least for me!!). Most of the time as they grow, the feather colors change so dramatically. If you post pics again in a couple of weeks........just too soon for me to even guess now.

Maybe someone else will pop on and give it a guess.

Cute chicks though!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

It's driving me crazy !!

They are all white, nothing is changing. I have compared them to every chick on the list the lady who I bought them from provided me with and nothing matches up. It'd be so much easier if they did change! There combs are light, yellow feet and all white in color. Very timid and loving.

Hi. I didn't think that Hawaii allowed outside chickens imported in. Cool.

Of the list you gave us, I would have to go with White Rock. White Orp was also on the list, but they have white legs whereas the Rocks have yellow legs. Are the combs straight combs?

Hi. I didn't think that Hawaii allowed outside chickens imported in. Cool.

Of the list you gave us, I would have to go with White Rock. White Orp was also on the list, but they have white legs whereas the Rocks have yellow legs. Are the combs straight combs?

We didn't know they did either. We found the lady selling the assortment on craigslist and went, she then told us where she got them so we we're like awesome - pure strain chickens that aren't local!! We really wanted them to be jersey giants so we are kinda let down that they aren't. At least we have one.
Yes, they have a single comb & I must have overlooked that but I don't read white rocks on that list (then again I am not keen on chicken breeds). ->Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks <- applies to all rocks?

The chicks look just like mine when googled. thank you

We didn't know they did either. We found the lady selling the assortment on craigslist and went, she then told us where she got them so we we're like awesome - pure strain chickens that aren't local!! We really wanted them to be jersey giants so we are kinda let down that they aren't. At least we have one.
Yes, they have a single comb & I must have overlooked that but I don't read white rocks on that list (then again I am not keen on chicken breeds). ->Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks <- applies to all rocks?

The chicks look just like mine when googled. thank you
You're welcome! Rocks come in different colors and White Rock is one of them. I haven't had White Rocks, but I do have a Barred Rock and she is my best layer. You may be very surprised and happy with your gals.

I love Hawaii and try to visit every year or two (the airfair is what holds us back). We usually go to Maui but we got to go to the Big Island several years ago and it was my favorite visit of all the visits. It seemed like home to me.

Dontcha just hate when your posts get over looked? HOWEVER, sometimes people do not comment after reading because they honestly don't know. But I think PP has it right.. White rocks. As little chicks lik that, so many of them look the same and can be a number of breeds... I have had a few yellow chicks turn completely black! YAH! Well anyway, Glad you found BYC. Welcome from MICHIGAN!

Back
Top Bottom