Trying to figure out what the problem is...

Matt_Hud

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
Hey Folks,
I'm new here. GREAT forum. After looking around the web for WEEKS, I finally found some answers based on experiance.
I have a bit of problem, I figure youz guyz could help
smile.png

I have 12 chickens, in a dry pen. I bought them when they were, guesing, 6 months old? Three of them seemed to be coughing when I got home. It doesn't seem to be spreading to the other birds. One rooster has died. He was VERY hot when I picked him up to dispose of him. He just sat them, head down, eyes closed, and some mucus coming out of his mouth. The coughing has been going on for a month now. I'm not cruel, but I believe in letting the birds fight it off. This doesn't seem to be working. The cough has turned into a wet-ish gurgle when one of them breaths. Seemed to be dieing for a day or so, then purked right back, but still with the cough. The poop is pretty normal. I get the occasional running stuff, sometimes brown, sometimes a bit mustardy. All the birds are eating well and drinking fine. I bought some Terramycin and FINALLY found practical dosage amounts (thanks BYC). I'm getting ready to administer it today. Seems like the time period is a month or so for withdraw time for egg consumption.
SO what is wrong with them and will Terramycin help?

I'll try this also...
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
-pretty sure they are NH reds. they appear to be adult birds.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
-Lively, eating, drinking, I get 3-4 eggs per day from 8 hens. Coughing.

3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No sign of outward injury.

4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
-Pen that I got them from was a bit muddy. Smelled.

5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
-Laying pellets and fresh water.

6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
See above. Normal to soft, no blood.

7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
None so far.

8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
-See above. Terramycin.

9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
-No pics.

10) Describe the housing/bedding in use
-Tin roofed coop, open sides with poultry wire, clay floor, hay/straw/oak leaves for bedding, cleaned every 2-3weeks, pretty dry, pretty clean.

Thanks for everything! I'm glad to be part of this forum.

Sounds like you got a case of CRD to me, and the Terramycin isn't going to help. You need to treat with a respiratory antibiotic. You can see details on what to do on my site HERE . Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom