Trying to find out what killed my EE

Cool_Catrules456

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
FL. U.S.A
This happened a few months back, I did not think of posting it here. But here we go.
I had a year old easter egger who was doing fine until she suddenly became paralyzed. Not able to move her head or anything. She was fine the day before we did our normal routine, I picked her up got her an extra cup of feed (I favored her quite a bit.) and then I sat with her for awhile. Nothing seemed wrong. The feed had no mold, looked and smelled fine. Next day I walk out and find her under their water pipe. I grabed her and tried to see what was wrong. There was nothing I could see. She passed a few hours later in our brooder

I no longer have the pictures of it, as like I said it happened a few months back. But here is her a few months before. (Dont worry about the cups being dirty, I cleaned them after this photo)
5E2C3418-16EC-4042-B071-0587B0ECC5EF.jpeg

Last edited:
This happened a few months back
I'm sorry for your loss.

There's no way to really know what happened.
Guesses would be all anyone could offer. Sudden onset - Marek's disease, Toxins, Molds, Botulism, Organ Failure....these are just a few of the 100s of conditions and ailments that can cause a rapid decline and death.

If it happens again in a short period of time, sending the body to your state lab would give you answers.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I'm sorry for your loss.

There's no way to really know what happened.
Guesses would be all anyone could offer. Sudden onset - Marek's disease, Toxins, Molds, Botulism, Organ Failure....these are just a few of the 100s of conditions and ailments that can cause a rapid decline and death.

If it happens again in a short period of time, sending the body to your state lab would give you answers.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
The same thing happened before but with a cinnamon queen only a year before this one. All though there was a warning before her passing. (She stoped acting herself.) If it happens again I will try to do that! The strange thing is, the birds I did not pick all pass.. (Cinnamon queen was picked out by feed store worker. And the EE was picked out by a family member) I dont know if it’s bad luck, or just a coincidence. For the cinnamon queen it was probably something wrong from the very start. She never laied an egg even at two years old. Maybe she just didn’t develop right in the egg. Who knows. The only think I can think of for the EE is heat stroke? It happened in winter though.. I doupt organ failure as she was fine before eating, drinking, pooping, normal chicken things. It was sudden. Like within an hour sudden. Another thing I remember is her neck was real stiff. So it could have been a broken neck as theres a perch right there. But she was not the type to slip and fall. Unless something scared here. Maybe a hawk landed nearby? I don’t know.

She was a late bloomer, she was late to laying. Took them both allmost a year to lay (the cinnamon queen never did) so chances are it was a reproductive system failure of some kind. As she passed a month after laying.

Back
Top Bottom