Trying to get back to normal

As you have found out, separating chickens often times causes more problems than it solves. If you feel you have to do that again, either bring in a pair or only bring them in for a couple of hours a day, or separate them in the coop/run, but where they are still visible to everyone. Chickens do not remember other chickens very long. A low order bird, is desperate not be to lower than the bird coming into the flock, and hence that is why she (the former friend) was so vicious. A lot of people are horrified at how mean chickens can be.

Racoons have long been my worst enemy. I know you are an animal lover, but you need to trap that raccoon. Maybe have someone else do it for you, and do NOT go look when they catch him, they will look darling...just remember they tear your chickens apart - not nice. I swear once I had a raccoon, that left a message, "please leave BBQ sauce, I am tire of them plain" UGH! Thing is, once they find you, they will treat your coop like a tasty freeze. AND THEY WILL BRING FRIENDS.

My DH finally built me a coon proof coop/run out of chain link fence over the top, totally enclosed. It is the only thing that will keep them out.

As for you current fighting pair. Do you have a lot of clutter in your run/coop? Where birds can get away from other birds? Ladders, sawhorses, pallets leaned agains the wall, up on blocks, roosts in the run, mini walls all provide more interest to the birds, and allow birds to use the vertical space in the run, get more exercise, and to get away from each other.

Multiple feed bowls are important, but they must be set up, so that a bird eating at one bowl cannot see a bird eating at another feed bowl. I have a feed bowl for about every 3-5 birds. Multiple waters too, this will help keep all your birds fed.

The thing about victim chickens, is they can learn that behavior and almost seem to invite an attack. Bantams often times just do not fit in with full size chickens. It seems like you had a pair that did, but pulled the pair apart. It worries me that one of the birds was thin, rather makes me think that she was bullied away from the feed and maybe they didn't fit in the flock as well as you thought.

I think that you need to do something different for both bantams - pulling them out of your main flock, and putting them in a smaller coop/run. Separating them for a couple of days in a see, but no touch situation, and they both should calm down. If you can't do that, I would give them to someone who has a bantam flock. Size matters in the chicken world and they won't just be nice.

Keeping chickens means making tough decisions. Always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K
So the two girls are thick as thieves again. But as I am watching I can see the "victim" behavior you described. She squeaks and runs even if the approaching hen is not going towards her. She is keeping herself down and certainly makes for an easy target. Fortunately, only a couple of the hens will give a quick chase as she draws so much attention to herself, but most just walk right past her. It's definitely weird, and sad, though.

I realized that one of the racoons coming around was a mama with her babies so I could not trap. But after breaking my tomato plants, raspberry canes and lower branches of my fruit trees we are seeing them less and less. The coop has held up great! My plants have not. We are looking into electric fencing to hopefully take us off the list of hot spots. Lol

I have added in more structures and everyday I bring out extra food and water containers to disperse throughout the run. We are dealing with Marek's and MG so I am pretty much giving them free range all day everyday. Lots of space, dust bathing areas and we have had little to no conflicts since.

You have a lot going on there, don't you?

Best wishes that it all works out!
Thank you.
It's stressful to constantly be worried about who might be sick, who is doing well, what is the best thing I can do to keep their stress down and immune systems optimal. I tried keeping them in a large run when AI was found in Illinois. Then I was trying to grow grass. And when we decided to go on vacation I figured it would help keep them safe. But they have always free ranged and going back to this has helped the most. They are just happier when they have the run of the yard.

Back
Top Bottom