Trying To Get Humidity and Temp Zeroed In.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oregon Blues, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It's not idle advice to set up the incubator a couple of days early to get the temperature and humidity steady,

It can be a real pain.

I had the temp steady at 99 degrees, but the humidity was only 17% before I added water. Add water and the humidity jumps to 85% and the temperature goes up 3 degrees.

Turn the thermostat down and change to a smaller water container. Then an even smaller water container. Now I've got water in a pill bottle and that seems to be just about right. But every time the humidity changes, the thermostat needs to be readjusted.

Every time the door is opened to change anything, then there is a wait for temperature and humidity to come back up and stabilize.

It hasn't been 24 hours yet, but the incubator still isn't running at just the correct level. To make it even more fun, adding eggs should change the humidity again, which might change the temperature.

I'll get it zeroed in, but it is easy to see how people run into problems when they first start to incubate eggs.

2. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    You are exactly correct.But remember the Ambient RH is or can be a big factor....cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by