Trying to interpret rooster noise!

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
My one year old rooster started making funny noises a while back, and he does them a lot now. Definitely not his crow, his alarm call, egg song reply, goodnight noises or look at this tasty food noises! It does not sound like the girls when they purr either. He makes it with his beak closed, so it’s not loud, and it’s usually very long and sounds a bit like a car screeching round a corner. The girls take zero notice, and he is usually just standing around either alone or with the girls when he makes it! I haven’t managed to get a good recording yet, but I’d love to know what it means. I thought maybe a contented noise, but he’s not dust bathing or anything when he does it! Any ideas? Sometimes he does a few in a row or an extra long one.

I found this video which might be what you are describing?

One of the commenters of the video suggest that this is a happy noise. Have not heard this noise from my roo, so not too familiar with it.

Any consistent behavior when this is happening? Anything consistent with his environment?

I had a NHR rooster, Duke, who'd do it all day long and got extremely annoying because of that. :lol: He'd often do it during a boring or quiet hour. Like he'd be just standing around doing nothing, or sitting down. Sometimes he'd do it after screaming about something flying over and it went out of sight. Sometimes it could just be he's content, or he's missing his "daddy".

I found this video which might be what you are describing?

One of the commenters of the video suggest that this is a happy noise. Have not heard this noise from my roo, so not too familiar with it.

Any consistent behavior when this is happening? Anything consistent with his environment?
It’s a little bit like that but less trilly and way, way longer, and softer 😂 He doesn’t seem to be doing anything, just standing still, and does it in the run and when he’s free ranging. It’s a mystery! I will try and get a recording this week!

I had a NHR rooster, Duke, who'd do it all day long and got extremely annoying because of that. :lol: He'd often do it during a boring or quiet hour. Like he'd be just standing around doing nothing, or sitting down. Sometimes he'd do it after screaming about something flying over and it went out of sight. Sometimes it could just be he's content, or he's missing his "daddy".
So funny! My guy is a Buff Brahma and everything he does is loud except this!

Back
Top Bottom