Trying to keep 1 week old chicks warm during snow storm

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MontanaDolphin, Mar 6, 2013.

1. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Snow started last night around 9 here in Goochland County, Virginia. Woke up this morning to 6 inches and wind. It's that wet heavy snow, so we lost trees and our power line. Haven't had electric since 10 a.m. We have a wood stove, and I moved the 6 babies in their brooder to right beside the stove, but it never got past 80 degrees inside the brooder. So I had some little soda bottles I had water stored in. I emptied them in an iron pot and put it on the wood stove to heat up the water, then once hot enough poured the water back in the bottles. I then made a semi-circle of hot water filled bottles around the babies to give them some heat. It worked! Kept them warm until Hubby could set up a spot outside for the generator. They now have their heat lamp back! We ended up getting 11 inches, and power isn't expected to be restored until Friday [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I'm so glad you were able to keep your little ones warm but, how miserable for you. Thank God for wood stoves and generators. Try to stay warm and safe.

3. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    Malvern, pa
    Hey:

Good to hear you found a solution. I'm in SE PA and we haven't had a snow flake yet. Keep Warm and good luck!.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by