trying to learn from my mistakes. help welcome!

Play sand should be just fine as long as it's not treated or dyed with any kind of chemicals, which most isn't. I used masonry sand for my chicks because that's what we had on hand.

I borrowed some of my snake's equipment when I bought chicks. An unused heat lamp, a dimmer switch (cheap at hardware store) to adjust the heat lamp, and one of their indoor/outdoor $8 dollar thermometers as seen below, it has a cord/small sensor not pictured:

Thermometer measured BOTH ends of the brooder, 90 on one end and 10-15 degrees lower on the other (initially). If the heat was too high/too low I used the dimmer switch to adjust.

Proper temperature, nourishment and hydration. Basics of life right there for all living creatures.

Last edited:
I borrowed some of my snake's equipment when I bought chicks. An unused heat lamp, a dimmer switch (cheap at hardware store) to adjust the heat lamp, and one of their indoor/outdoor $8 dollar thermometers as seen below, it has a cord/small sensor not pictured:

Thermometer measured BOTH ends of the brooder, 90 on one end and 10-15 degrees lower on the other (initially). If the heat was too high/too low I used the dimmer switch to adjust.

Proper heat, food, water. Basics of life right there for all living creatures.

the dimmer switch is a great idea! and i'll go see if i can raid the fishtank stuff for an extra thermometer

Alright, I'm trying to get this right, but I'm new to interpreting chick, so help me out!

I've moved thermometer directly under heat, moved lamp up a little, and I'm trying to get it at a stable 90

This is how my chickies look at the moment. I'm a little concerned that the runt (about half the size of the others) is huddled under the heat by herself. She's usually cuddling with the others. What do I do here?

That chick may not make it. If they are all the same age and that one is significantly behind, that may indicate some kind of problem with it that we may not be able to diagnose or treat...and it just might not make it. My chicks sprawled out all over the place when they slept so having one sleeping away from the others wasn't anything unusual. What concerns me about your chick is the size difference.

I agree. It isn't necessarily your fault. I brought some home from TSC today, and all looked perfectly well until I got them out of the box. One just looked awful and died within the hour. Of course, it was my FAVORITE ONE too!!! Does anyone know if the TSC bantams would be vaccinated? Would that make a difference since Starkist 72 didn't have hers vaccinated since they were hatched at her house?

That chick may not make it. If they are all the same age and that one is significantly behind, that may indicate some kind of problem with it that we may not be able to diagnose or treat...and it just might not make it. My chicks sprawled out all over the place when they slept so having one sleeping away from the others wasn't anything unusual. What concerns me about your chick is the size difference.

I 100% agree :) I never expected this one to make it (and don't have high hopes that it will). It was a full day behind the others and came out of a very small egg that I almost decided not to set. I was SHOCKED that it even hatched, and wasn't going to wait for it except there was another in the incubator I was waiting for. Of course I don't have the heart to cull, and kept it away from the others for awhile. Once I put it in with the others they just wanted to snuggle with it :) It's eating and drinking constantly, and poop is nothing that seems any different. The only difference seems to be it wants more heat. I was shocked to find this one made it through the temp drop the other day and one of the big ones with tons of feathers on her wings didn't.

If it survives it will probably live here, I don't expect it will make a good laying chicken at the farm, and as for a meat chicken I wouldn't think it would be worth their time.

I agree. It isn't necessarily your fault. I brought some home from TSC today, and all looked perfectly well until I got them out of the box. One just looked awful and died within the hour. Of course, it was my FAVORITE ONE too!!! Does anyone know if the TSC bantams would be vaccinated? Would that make a difference since Starkist 72 didn't have hers vaccinated since they were hatched at her house?

I haven't done ANY research on vaccinations, although my father is pushing me to call the local farm store to see if they run a chick clinic.

They are getting medicated feed, but I know I need to look into vaccinations, I have no idea what the farm I'm bringing them to does. I need to ask them.

I'm interested to hear what you have to say about vaccinations

Seems like most things here are covered except the grit and eggs thing. They can eat hard boiled or scrambled eggs. I prefer hard boiled since there's no oil/grease involved that's just personal preference though.

You can buy chicken grit, the playground sand may be silica, so I'm not sure on how safe that is ??

definitely the hottest place in the brooder should be about 90 degrees right now. They get dehydrated really easily.

I haven't done ANY research on vaccinations, although my father is pushing me to call the local farm store to see if they run a chick clinic.

They are getting medicated feed, but I know I need to look into vaccinations, I have no idea what the farm I'm bringing them to does. I need to ask them.

I'm interested to hear what you have to say about vaccinations

I've always gotten the ones that I've ordered from hatcheries vaccinated, but I've had wonderful luck with my broody hens hatching perfectly healthy chicks that do fine, and they haven't been vaccinated. I have always used medicated chick feed though, and I dust with diatomaceous earth when they're older and use a little bit of cider vinegar in their water, also when they're older.

Can anyone else weigh in on whether this could be a problem? Losing a chick is awful, but it may just be natural selection. I wish I knew! I'd call the local farm store with questions ready and see what they suggest if you don't get answers from here, but TSC seems to have the same problems since two of my chicks from there over the years have died. (Granted, the one was given to me for free to see if I could revive it since my friend didn't have time to spend with it in her store, but the one today was a sad surprise.)

Back
Top Bottom