One ISA Brown
One barred rock
One black sexlink
One Salmon Faverolles
One Easter Egger/ ameraucana
One production red
Two light brahmas one is a rooster one is a hen
You have them or have picked them out?
Anything with a straight comb will be susceptible to frostbite.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1591450069122.png

We have leghorns for the first time. I don't know your coop/run situation but the leghorns love to fly! Our 6 week old immediately flew to the top of the fence of the chicken yard with no effort at all. Mine aren't adults but I've read they also love to roost very high. They are indeed supposed to be fabulous layers but I'm not sure I would have added them to our mix voluntarily. They were part of a chick assortment. You have several on your list who are considered docile. I would say leghorns are definitely not docile, at least ours aren't. First to gobble food and I see them as leader of the flock eventually. Not mean or hostile, just overactive and eager.
Oh my gosh, this is so true! My leghorns(3) would fly the coop daily for their adventure into the neighbors yard. Thank heavens they are nice folks. Then always be home at bed time! They are certainly characters!

Years ago, was taking care of a friend's chickens which included some Leghorns. They roosted way up in the trees rather than in the coop. They were crazy!

I would only recommend Leghorns for someone who has a big property and doesn't mind flighty, wandering chickens that may or may not stay in the run. If they won't stay and lay in the coop, then their egg laying prowess doesn't do much good, if you can't find the eggs.

All the other breeds sound like good choices, but look up cold hardiness of each breed you are considering.

Oh my gosh, this is so true! My leghorns(3) would fly the coop daily for their adventure into the neighbors yard. Thank heavens they are nice folks. Then always be home at bed time! They are certainly characters!
We have enclosed runs but our chickens have always had the use of a fenced yard during the day. For the first time we're looking into building a completely enclosed structure. Our neighbors have chickens too and if the leghorns go into the trees I may never get them back home! Always an adventure, right?

We have leghorns for the first time. I don't know your coop/run situation but the leghorns love to fly! Our 6 week old immediately flew to the top of the fence of the chicken yard with no effort at all. Mine aren't adults but I've read they also love to roost very high. They are indeed supposed to be fabulous layers but I'm not sure I would have added them to our mix voluntarily. They were part of a chick assortment. You have several on your list who are considered docile. I would say leghorns are definitely not docile, at least ours aren't. First to gobble food and I see them as leader of the flock eventually. Not mean or hostile, just overactive and eager.
My leghorn lives in the low hanging trees and vines...

Back
Top Bottom