Trying to Quit Dipping

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bigredfeather, Jan 24, 2011.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I have tried several times, but had no luck. I have been dipping for.......well.......way too long. It's getting too expensive and I need to quit before I cause any health problems, if I haven't already. Anybody have a good method they have used successfully, outside of cold turkey.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Beef jerky? I hope you quit successfully! I quit cigs six years ago cold turkey!

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I know its easier said then done but heres a few tips...

first make a journal.... find out the times you dip... you may not even realize when and how often.... write down your feeling, (hungry, pizzed off, bored..ect)

when I quit smoking I followed this plan... I found out that I am a boredom smoker

so when I found I got the craving.. i would do something... go for a walk... (No I could not walk and smoke [​IMG] )

I would go to the mall when it was to cold or wet to walk...

I know dipping is harder to quit cause you can do it anywhere... you can walk the mall and have a coffee cup to spit into... but maybe take that time and brush your teeth (I dont mean that to sound bad please dont misunderstand) but change the taste in your mouth...

as for the feeling of the tobacco in your lip try a wad of sugar free gum

what you want to do is change your behavior pattern.. as well as a chemical addiction and thats a rough path and I commend you on your strength and courage to do it... make small adjustments and you will be successful!

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I have not ever done this so, I cannot speak form experience but I have read some articles about the addiction for what it is worth, they say that the amount of nicotine you ingest is quite a bit higher than that from smoking and that things like the patch and nicotine gum can help you work on ending the behavioral habit and titrate down from the nicotine.

That's a tough addiction to kick and I wish you well.

5. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    I have no experience in tobacco products, besides the time I thought my dad's spit can was acctually coca cola [​IMG] never did that again! Seriously though, try starting a hobby for when you get bored or feel the need to add tobacco, also try using less and switch brands... my dad tried the spearmint kind, no matter it's soo gross.

edited to be more serious.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Folks, this is not a joke, and bigredfeather is entering into an endeavor that is not a piece of cake. If you can provide good support please do so. BRF when my son in law gets back to me, I will pass on the information that I promised in my PM.[​IMG] I wish you the best in this challenge.

7. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Well, I'll tell you this story, don't know if it will help or not. When I was a kid my dad dipped and me and my mother hated it. There were spit cups everywhere, we just hated it. We begged him to stop to no avail.

One night, I was at the table eating dinner and I was eating corn on the cob. I was about 10 I guess. My dad saw it and said "Hey, give me a bite of that" and took a bite of my corn on the cob. Apparently he had chew tucked in his mouth because when he put it back on my plate it was covered it brown slime and chew bits. I saw it and immediately threw up my dinner all over my plate.

My father felt so awful that he literally quit at that moment and never dipped again.

Now of course we laugh at the story, but maybe if you think of something personal like that, how it affects others, etc., it might inspire you.

I smoked for years and quit almost 10 years ago now. It was REALLY hard. I had tried gum, cutting down, etc., but I finally had a realization: I was always waiting to be "ready". One day it dawned on me that I'll never feel ready. Once I came to the simple realization that quitting was going to suck, I accepted the reality and quit successfully. When people would ask "how I'm doing with it", I'd say "LOUSY!", but I'm doing it. I kinda took the AA one day at a time approach, only it was more like one hour at a time. And it really did get easier and easier, after the first week or so.

Hope some of this helps, I wish you the best of luck.

8. stanglover2001

stanglover2001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Sorry, I didn't mean to make what bigredfeather is going through sound like a joke. That's not what I was trying to do, I will delete that part.

9. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    You could find pictures of the effects of dipping and print them out. Put one on the fridge, on the bathroom mirror, next to your bed, in your car, etc... Having to have part of your face removed to get rid of cancer is an awful awful thing. My mom is 58 and has heart disease. She has already been hospitalized twice to have stints put in. And she still refuses to take care of herself. I've been so angry with her. My dad died when I was 8. So, it's important to me that she stick around. My husband and I use to smoke and we quit almost 6 years ago. There are so many things in life we can't control, I didn't want to die of lung cancer and my kids to be angry that I chose to continue a bad habit that ended in my demise. I wish you luck. It's a tough habit to break. But you CAN do it. You might have to quit a few times, but it's worth it. Its expensive, dangerous, and disgusting. So quit it! And don't forget to tell everyone you're quitting so they can get on your case if you slip up. We're here for you!

10. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I started smoking so that I could quit chewing. Chewing tobacco is much more addictive imho. Partly because you don't necessarily have to go outside to do it.

I can't give much advice other than hang in there and keep trying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by