trying to sex my 13 week brahma - lemony snicket

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FLIPPERTY147, Sep 9, 2014.

1. FLIPPERTY147

FLIPPERTY147 New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Hi all

I am trying to sex my 13 week old Lemon Brahma and could do with some help[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am new to this forum and new to chicken keeping this last year . I hatched some eggs - earlier this year which were a mixture of a few breeds and ended up keeping 1 hen ( a Wellsummer) 2 others were cockrels so they were rehomed. That has left me with 1 lemon Brahma who we call Lemony Snicket - until we can decide if its a he or a she !!. We also have 3 older Brahma hens as well,

I have been trying to get to grips on how you sex Brahmas over the last few weeks but it seems to be quite difficult. I have found information around looking at their combs and if 1 ridge then its a hen and 3 its a cockrell but also that a more pointed tail is a hen?. That's where its starting to get confusing for me as my Lemony has only a single line of ridges - as can be seen in the picture but has a fluffy bottom. Also no sign of any pointed feathers but there is a ridge of darker coloured feathers around the neck - but not pointy. I have tried to take the best pictures I can but single handedly - so may need to post some more side on pictures when hubby gets back as chasing around the garden camera in 1 hand trying to focus was a bit challenging !.

Does anyone have any advice or pointers as to what sex he/she is ?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm pretty sure you have a pullet.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks like a pullet to me.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    It looks like a pullet to me too. :)

5. FLIPPERTY147

FLIPPERTY147 New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    that's great thankyou so much . I was really hoping it was a pullet as we cant keep cockerel's due to us being in a built up area. I had an inkling she might be a pullet but as I am new to all this knowing my luck I would get it wrong ! perhaps I can now call her Lilly instead of Lemony !!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X4. Limony Snicket is a pullet. :eek:) Does her name come from the book author?

7. FLIPPERTY147

FLIPPERTY147 New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    yes it did really - I was just looking at her when she was a small chick and thought she looked a lemony colour so we just called her lemony snicket - she is such a sweetie - she likes to come and sit on you and go to sleep whenever she gets the opportunity - she also likes to hop up and sit on my shoulder - not sure how that's going to work she gest to be full size !!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    She'll still try, that's for sure. The first breed I ever had were Light Brahmas (about 50 years ago) and they were giant lap pets. :eek:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by