trying to sex my 13 week brahma - lemony snicket

FLIPPERTY147

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Hi all

I am trying to sex my 13 week old Lemon Brahma and could do with some help

I am new to this forum and new to chicken keeping this last year . I hatched some eggs - earlier this year which were a mixture of a few breeds and ended up keeping 1 hen ( a Wellsummer) 2 others were cockrels so they were rehomed. That has left me with 1 lemon Brahma who we call Lemony Snicket - until we can decide if its a he or a she !!. We also have 3 older Brahma hens as well,

I have been trying to get to grips on how you sex Brahmas over the last few weeks but it seems to be quite difficult. I have found information around looking at their combs and if 1 ridge then its a hen and 3 its a cockrell but also that a more pointed tail is a hen?. That's where its starting to get confusing for me as my Lemony has only a single line of ridges - as can be seen in the picture but has a fluffy bottom. Also no sign of any pointed feathers but there is a ridge of darker coloured feathers around the neck - but not pointy. I have tried to take the best pictures I can but single handedly - so may need to post some more side on pictures when hubby gets back as chasing around the garden camera in 1 hand trying to focus was a bit challenging !.

Does anyone have any advice or pointers as to what sex he/she is ?

that's great thankyou so much . I was really hoping it was a pullet as we cant keep cockerel's due to us being in a built up area. I had an inkling she might be a pullet but as I am new to all this knowing my luck I would get it wrong ! perhaps I can now call her Lilly instead of Lemony !!

yes it did really - I was just looking at her when she was a small chick and thought she looked a lemony colour so we just called her lemony snicket - she is such a sweetie - she likes to come and sit on you and go to sleep whenever she gets the opportunity - she also likes to hop up and sit on my shoulder - not sure how that's going to work she gest to be full size !!

she is such a sweetie - she likes to come and sit on you and go to sleep whenever she gets the opportunity - she also likes to hop up and sit on my shoulder - not sure how that's going to work she gest to be full size !!
She'll still try, that's for sure. The first breed I ever had were Light Brahmas (about 50 years ago) and they were giant lap pets. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom