TSC Augusta, Maine-Sunday August 1st!!!

i hate the turken! Cat Waters, not yours superchemicalgirl. My ducklings are doing ok. The chickens are starting to get curious about the duck box that peeps in their coop. have you chosen a name for the turkin yet superchemicalgirl? The ducklings are named Yahtzee and Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi is the loud one, and "he" peeps almost constantly. "He" is also slightly bigger. Yahtzee is smaller and quieter. Although "she" isn't very much quieter. I don't know the genders of either one, so when I say he and she, I'm just guessing. 50/50 chance right???
tongue.png
Also, a question,should I quarantine the ducks???

You might get a better answer from posting your quarantine question on the main board, but I think ANY poultry should be quarantined. As part of "biosafety" you should even do things like wash your shoes after you visit foreign poultry (even if you don't buy). That's why I wear crocs to things like this, I just slip them in the washer when I get home with a little bit of bleach. You can never be too careful. If you wore regular shoes just make a shallow pan of 1:8 bleach to water and put the soles in it for a few minutes.

Why do you hate the turken?

Your ducks are cuter than cute, by the way. Don't let them become dinner!
wink.png

My regular (original) turken is all black (now with a bit of gold lacing as she gets older) and looked rather evil as a chick (although cute as a button too) and she got the name Nazgul (ringwraith) from Lord of the Rings. Keeping with that theme, Chris named the new rooster The Witch King. Now we only need 7 more turkens to complete the set.

Quote:
I hung around for a little while longer and eventually sold all the ancona duckling's. Thanks to those who bought them and if your members here and have questions please email me.

Great meeting blueseal and seeing some others that I recognized from past swaps.

bob

She hates the turken because she thinks it's ugly. I'm not sure we're going to be keeping any of the things we bought.
sad.png
Nut isn't showing that she is responsible or knowledgable enough to own the ducks yet and I am really worried about Yzma getting the other chickens sick. I think we will just start again with eggs in the spring. There is SO much less risk in that. Oh, well. I made a big mistake and I regret it. Superchemicalgirl, do you want her? She looks just like yours.

You guys need to sit down and figure out how you're going to do this. You wanted a Turken, give it a chance. Tell you sister that at least the Turken wears its ugly on the outside, that way you can focus on its inner beauty. If only humans were like that. Besides the Turken is yours, don't let anyone tell you what to think. That's why there's so many different varieties of chicken out there: to each, his own.

The chances of your new Turken/ducks getting your other chickens sick is low but it's always best to practice preventative medicine. I didn't mean to alarm you but at minimum you should clean the soles of your shoes as there were a lot of foreign poultry there today. If the only option you have is to keep your old and new chickens together make sure you clean up the poop well for the next 2 weeks and WATCH everyone very carefully for the first sign of illness.

Also what your Turken looks like now is not what she will grow up to look like. My 15 week old Turken has some of the most beautiful coloring of my chickens (and a great personality to boot). She's all black, with a little bit of gold lacing in her front feathers. The back feathers have an iridescent greenish blue sheen to them. She's absolutely gorgeous in the sun. Don't judge your chick until she grows up.

46869_adult_turk.jpg

I had a pretty good day as it appears most of us did. had a few that I sold that I really wanted to keep but winter space dictates how many of what breeds can stay.
It was great to see all of you and I brought the camera but a few people I didn't know so I didn't any pics of them (superchemicalgirl and stano40) and nutlemon, catwater forgot to get the camera out for them.
I will post them later.

as far as quarantining , post swap things to do, if you have handled other people's birds, change your clothes and toss them into the washer as well (even if you didn't good idea anyway as most bird disease are in the bird dust and it gets on your clothes, or in the poo, and theres plenty of that around)

still available from me are:
chicks
2 marans- 1 black copper, 1 wheaton
2 light sussex
+/- 2 blue laced red wyandottes
1 white wyandotte
1 awesome blue laced red wyandotte rooster- 1yr

so anyone wanting these- let me know.

My dad says I should get rid of her. I haven't had time to bond with her yet, and he said quarantining it alone would be cruel. I will get eggs or new chicks next spring when the silkies are laying and hopefully broody. We really can't quarantine her safely, so I either have to give her a new home, or my dad will "humanely euthinize" her.
hit.gif
I really don't want to get rid of her, but it wouldn't be kind to keep her here. We went for ducks, and I shouldn't have brought home a chicken. I hate myself for doing this to an innocent animal.
he.gif

Quote:
I hung around for a little while longer and eventually sold all the ancona duckling's. Thanks to those who bought them and if your members here and have questions please email me.

Great meeting blueseal and seeing some others that I recognized from past swaps.

bob

We would have so taken them if Sarah's duck area was finished. They are so pretty when they mature
smile.png
Good to see you again.

Great to see everyone today and meet a few new faces
smile.png

Hope to see some of you guys at the Basket Show in Farmington on Sunday!! Show season is under way again
clap.gif

Hoppy always great talkin to ya. See you Sunday, we hope...

Went for two birds that I didn't get and ended up with six others. Thanks to Poultry Run Farm I now have four new Indian Runners and two Call ducks
smile.png
Of course now that I have two male Calls I will probably want some females at some point. I saw the Anconas but opted to not get too carried away since I have five already who are almost five months old.
Odd how I now have more ducks than I do chickens. At least for a few more weeks. Then the numbers will be more equal. That's when my ten Icelandic chicks will move into chicken coop. I just have to reinforce the outdoor section. I waited three years to get them and I am not interested in having them become dinner for any predators.

Back
Top Bottom