TSC Bantam Advice

That’s a fair point! I was terrorized by a rooster as a kid, and I have a baby so honestly that’s my number one reason for only wanting hens, at least to start off with. Do you need fo worry about numbers of Roo’s to hens with chickens? Maybe it would be okay, I’m just so very scared of them terrorizing my child 😂 they are beautiful! Maybe we risk it.
It is best to have enough hens per roo so that they are not over mated.
Some Roos are that way but it is not the majority. Just think of it like this, they are just trying to protect their hens, and that is exactly what you want. You can work with them. I have one that attacked everyone who came near, he now sleeps in my lap, lets me carry him around, and follows my kids around like a dog, trying to give them food like they are his hens lol. I would say it is worth it to try, because they can make things so much better for your girls, and they can be some of the sweetest coolest pets ever. Just make sure your child doesn’t terrorize them. Often Roos will act out at kids because kids tend to chase them and yell and be crazy, and they think they are a threat. Teach your child to be calm with them, make friends with treats like peanuts and soldierfly larva, and they will be fast friends. Especially if you are raising him from a baby.

It is best to have enough hens per roo so that they are not over mated.
Some Roos are that way but it is not the majority. Just think of it like this, they are just trying to protect their hens, and that is exactly what you want. You can work with them. I have one that attacked everyone who came near, he now sleeps in my lap, lets me carry him around, and follows my kids around like a dog, trying to give them food like they are his hens lol. I would say it is worth it to try, because they can make things so much better for your girls, and they can be some of the sweetest coolest pets ever. Just make sure your child doesn’t terrorize them. Often Roos will act out at kids because kids tend to chase them and yell and be crazy, and they think they are a threat. Teach your child to be calm with them, make friends with treats like peanuts and soldierfly larva, and they will be fast friends. Especially if you are raising him from a baby.
That’s super helpful! Thank you! We will at the very least consider it.

Back
Top Bottom