TSC Breeds.. The Fun of the Mystery

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommto3kiddos, Mar 11, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    For those whom have gotten TSC chicks before what breeds did they turn out to be??

We got 8 this past week and Im lost. I can't wait for them to get bigger so we can know for sure.. Would love any guesses..

These are my BIG Girls (or boys).. They were in a bin labeled Cornish!
    [​IMG]

These are my little yellows.. They were in a bin labeled (Pullets) [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Size comparison from Big Yellow Girls & Small Yellow girls
    (Notice how much bigger the feet are)
    [​IMG]

My Red girls.. They were in a bin labeled (Red Pullets) [​IMG]
    (These girls are TINY)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  2. AmyRey

AmyRey Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    I am guessing the two "Cornish" are Cornish X - ie "meat birds", which explains why they're growing so much faster.

3. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:You know the "fatter" girl to the right in the pic will actually lay down beside the feeder and just sit and eat. Like shes too lazy to stand and eat..lol So meat bird makes alot of sence [​IMG] Hubby has nicknamd her butterball (soo cruel [​IMG])

4. AmyRey

AmyRey Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    Well, that's pretty much what they're bred to do. lol

And that's a very fitting name, too. [​IMG]

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    have you ever raised meat birds before ? They grow really, really quickly they are "table ready" at 8-12 weeks. they can grow so fast that their legs can break and they have heart attacks. I'm sorry if I'm just telling you something you already know. But if you are new to chickens I don't want you have a bad experience

6. Miss Red

Miss Red Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    The cornish were getting on are the cornish x. And in the red breeds, (at least at my store, don't know if where you're from they're using the same shipment/hatchery)

RIR, NHR, PR are the main three. We also got in some RSL'S... Sooo idk.

7. tcbfan5

tcbfan5 Songster

Oct 19, 2008
    Kansas
    There's been a thread that TSC is selling what's called "Tetra Tints" i thought i saw somewhere they were yellow chicks..maybe mistaken, but may wanna search that here on BYC & it will take you to the threads...

FROM RAREROO ~ IN A POST::
    True BYC Addict
    E-mail PM
    View My BYC PageRe: what is a tetra pinthey are from Mt Healthy hatchery and are only being sold to Tractor Supply to sale in their stores.

Here is a quote from an email when I emailed Mt Healthy about them

We are carting the tetra tints just for Tractor Supply, we do not have them listed on the website, they are a high producers of creamy brown eggs, they are white in color maybe with some darker spots on them and the adult hens will reach app 5 lbs

Thank you,
    Mt Healthy Hatcheries
    So they would bacically be a cross of a White Leghorn with another production breed, similar to the Austra Whites that Cackle is carrying this year that are a cross of a Black Australorp roo on White Leghorn hens

Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  8. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Songster

Mar 9, 2011
    Quote:I had to raise broiler chicks for a feed class in college, but that was over 10 years ago [​IMG].. I remember the birds grew super fast and were culled & graded at 12 weeks. But I have never had them as pets.. How do they do as pets??

9. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Songster

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    honestly they don't [​IMG] If I were you I would go on the meat bird page and ask them about a feet regimen to keep them alive longer.

10. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    I thought I was getting bantam Buff Cochins, well all their feathers are coming in frizzled! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: