TSC Chick 'rescue' didn't end well, anyone know why?

Ill put in my point
when chicks get too cold they go into a sort of hibernation, we ordered chicks and only one was peeping, we saved 20 that day, however,the longer they are in a hibernation the more brain damagae that could happen, and will happen

sorry about your little chicks

Losing babies is so hard...last year I brought home two 'freebies' from TSC as well. They had been trampled by their siblings I was told. But the symptoms were pretty much identical. Neither baby made it, though I've so far not had any other problems with babies other than the occasional poopy butt.

Thank you all for your kind words, and information.
I didn't lose any more, the last one hung in there, it is significantly smaller than the others, but seems normal in every other respect. I am glad I tried, though it is hard to lose them no matter what you do. Thanks again everyone!

It's so sweet you took them in, and I'm sorry you lost the ones you did. Sending good thoughts your way that the rest will do just fine.
hugs.gif

I will ask again in case anyone knows, what is the physiological result of the stress/chilling that causes this? They have no resperatory symptoms and no diarrhea, they just get sleepier and sleepier and die. I would like to know so I can figure out the best way to help fix it.
When a chick (or a human, for that matter) is under an excessive amount of stress his immune system is compromised. A chick with a healthy immune system can ward off many underlying issues. Some of the physiological changes that occur are increase heart rate, a higher production of adrenaline and rapid breathing. If a chick is very stressed it becomes difficult ot restore the proper physiological state and the chick will die. "Shipping stress" is always a consideration, but my belief is that most shipped chicks that suffer from it are not thrifty to begin with and will never achieve his/her full potential production or health. I've had hundreds of chicks shipped to me and only have lost 3 or 4 to shipping stress. Perhaps these stores don't get the chicks in a timely manner. I have always travelled to the post office which is our central hub to pick them up. It's about 1/2 hour away and they always come in on Sunday morning. I do this because I don't want the chicks to stay in transit longer than necessary. I would bet the stores wait until they are delivered with the regular mail.
I'm so terribly sorry this happened to you. It sounds as if you did everything you possibly could do to save these chicks.

Back
Top Bottom