TSC chicks keep dying despite ideal conditions

I just purchased 5 chicks of mixed breeds from TSC on the 3/3/2021 and by the next morning two were in poor shape, I nursed them throughout the day and night only to loose them the next morning 3/5/2021.

I am also not sure if one of my sapphire gems isn't a roo. In the first picture on the left is the chick in question, then I added individual pictures. Far right is chick in question.

Attachments

• 20210308_113954.jpg
    20210308_113954.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210306_115403.jpg
    20210306_115403.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210306_115443.jpg
    20210306_115443.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 22
Just got back from TSC, our manager is great! We chatted about the incidents and he seemed genuinely concerned. They have had batches showing up with all dead chicks that were in transit way too long. He also said that they have done checks on the brooders and sanitized them as well which is something being done in all the area stores per district manager. I ended up bringing some home that were being held in back with the old style brooder set up. He said these were also part of a group that 3/4 of the batch died. I guess I’m glutton for punishment but they looked healthy enough. We are keeping them separate from the ones that are still here from this weekend just to be sure.

Following this because I’m curious to hear what hatchery they are coming from. The farm store I work at gets their chicks from Hoover’s to.
I havnt been in in almost two weeks now because I’ve been sick, so I don’t know if they have gotten their birds yet or not, and if they have if they are having these issues.
I bought my chicks this year from Rural King. I know for a fact they came from Hoover’s because I saw the boxes. I have had no issues. My 26 have lived and are doing great. The oldest are 6 weeks now. It must be a TSC thing.

The brooder heaters like that need to nearly touch the chicks to keep them warm enough.One TSC had the sense to put them back in the original set up until they get longer brackets for the heat plates.
I noticed some didn't have the extension brackets and were a bit too high.

is there any chance the new brooder heat source is coated with teflon or in the family of teflon?
I seriously doubt that.

Just got back from TSC, our manager is great! We chatted about the incidents and he seemed genuinely concerned. They have had batches showing up with all dead chicks that were in transit way too long.
Excellent to have a conscientious and communicative manager.
I'll bet the shipping issues are more of a problem than the new brooders.

Have also lost chicks that I got recently from tractor supply, I got them replaced and the new ones are doing fine but when I went back to buy something else I went and looked at the thermometer they had in the brooder it was reading low 80s and mid 70s in some and all the chicks were huddled and chirping and in obvious distress when I mentioned it to a worker they just shrugged it off. I'm fairly new to raising chicks but even i know that's way to cold for day old chicks

Have also lost chicks that I got recently from tractor supply, I got them replaced and the new ones are doing fine but when I went back to buy something else I went and looked at the thermometer they had in the brooder it was reading low 80s and mid 70s in some and all the chicks were huddled and chirping and in obvious distress when I mentioned it to a worker they just shrugged it off. I'm fairly new to raising chicks but even i know that's way to cold for day old chicks
Ya, sadly a lot of the employees I meet at tscs don’t seem to have much of an interest in being there. Not much concern for their product or animals.

Back
Top Bottom