TSC Mallards

Chic_girl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 23, 2011
Near Columbus OH
Just a quick question:

I was picking up chick feed at Tractor Supply today, and I HAD to stop and say hi to their chicks and ducks. (Luckily resisted buying some!) The ducks they had were Mallards- I guessed based on their looks, and an employee confirmed my guess. But I believed mallards are considered migratory fowl, and if so, shouldn't buyers receive paperwork of some sort saying that they had purchased hatchery-bred birds? Or is it because they are hatchery-bred that there is no certification?
Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I was just curious. Usually, the TSC near me just has pekins, so I was surprised to see tiny little black-and-white chipmunk birds instead of larger cuddly yellow pekins.

Thanks for your replies!

I found this at Metzer Farms' site:

A permit is not needed to own or sell Mallard ducklings. All domestically hatched Mallard ducklings are required to be identified by the US Fish and Game. Our method is to remove a back toe when they hatch. This is an acceptable method by the US Fish and Game and you do not need to do any other marking of our Mallards at any time. This is to show, if you were ever inspected, that the birds were domestically hatched and not "kidnapped" out of a local marsh.

Might they actually be Rouen?

No no permit is required in most states for raising or selling mallards.

Thank you for your replies! It was just a question I had, but didn't know the answer to... I hope whoever buys TSC ducks from that store are prepared for ducks that fly!

My tractor supplies sign said rouens. They get there chicks from mt healty. I looked on there site and they were only two types they sell pekins and mallards. Why are the ones near me say there rouens when I think there mallards.

I bought 3 ducklings from a box marked Rouens last year. I always thought, "Gee, I remember them being much bulkier as a kid."

Then one day they flew over my house.

roll.png

Back
Top Bottom