TSC mislabeled so what are these?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Debs55, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I went to TSC Thursday and picked up 18 chicks. 10 Cornish cross and 8 "silver laced wyandottes". I went back today to get a box of nails and just happened to look at the chicks. The labels were on different bins. I tried talking to the workers and they didn't know. The ones labeled silver laced wyandottes before now didn't have a label and they said they were pullets...didn't know what breed apparently. And another bin which had previously been labeled black pullets was labeled silver laced wyandottes. I picked up 6 and now I need to know which ones..if either..are actually silver laced wyandottes

The first ones. They are light tan with darker brown markings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the second ones. They are mostly black. Some have brown on their heads and white/yellow on their bellies but others are all black
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    I would say Brown leghorn or Welsumer on the striped one, The blacks and blacks with brown faces I guess are black sexlink pullets.

3. Debs55

I don't think they are brown leghorns cause Ive had them before and to me their stripes look too defined for leghorns. I was thinking welsummers or speckled sussex. And I think you may be right with the black sex links

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    What color are the legs on the brown chicks? Our TSC had Speckled Sussex last year a couple of times. X3 on the blacks are sex links or production blacks. Can you tell comb type on the black with brown chicks? The SLW usually have a more mottled head, Feathersite has pics of the different colored chicks on their site. http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

5. Debs55

I just went and looked at their legs and they look pale yellow. like lighter than my cornish X's legs. but I'll look again tomorrow in the daylight. I'll look at the combs then too

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    The stripped ones are either brown leghorns or welsummers or speckeled sussex (they are identical as chicks)
    The black ones are probably black sex links

7. Debs55

Thank you. Guess I didn't get what I wanted. I am so frustrated at TSC right now

8. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't like TSC, or many other farm stores. Many don't know what they are talking about.

9. Debs55

They have white feathers coming in on their wings so I'm thinking speckled Sussex. Gonna go to another TSC and see what they have

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]
    These are slw chicks, so I'm thinking you didn't get any. But this will show you what to look for in the future!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by