TSC mixed Bantams

C56B276A-3A5D-4F80-B777-25084F9F1EE8.jpeg
CFD202F0-4C77-4708-9C55-4121DAF1BDE4.jpeg
0E373EFF-3181-4583-B23C-3C0098C35DF7.jpeg

Cochins, D’Uccles, OEGB at mine

Give us some pics Rod!

I'm working on it... can't find the camera :lol:

They might be Cochins with the feathered legs. Silkies have a unique feather pattern growth as chicks that will distinguish them from smooth feathered breeds. Here's what my silkie chicks looked like :)
View attachment 1304023

That's what I'm thinking, but I just googled Porcelain D'uccles and they really resemble my feathered legged chicks.

The one near me has sebrights and OEGs, but they can also have silkies and cochins and whatever else the hatchery tosses in there. Pictures would help.

I got a handful of silver duckwing OEGBs at mine. I wish I had known the trick to sexing them when I picked them out, though. I only have two pullets. :rolleyes:

I'm working on the pictures ;)

I got some recently too, looking for Silkies. I only got one, and the other three were a mystery. After posting here, I have discovered that mine are Porcelain D’Uccles. I was very happy with this. I will post pics below of my chick.

D’Uccles and Silkies at mine too.

I'm thinking that the feathered legged ones aren't Silkies :(

I must now research this trick you speak of.......

I want some but am not allowed a rooster.......

@21hens-incharge I read about in a few threads on here and on a breed club website for OEGBs. Apparently with the silver duckwing OEGBs and some of the other OEGB colors the color of the down indicates gender. Boys have lighter stripes across their eyes and lighter, less distinct stripes on their backs. Females have dark stripes on their eyes and backs.

I just went and took some pictures. Apologies for the funky lighting in the mudroom... the weather is trying to decide what it wants to do. Rod, hopefully you don't mind me adding the pictures here. If you have some of the little OEGBs it may help. :)

E5yO5v6.jpg

So according to the down sexing guide, female on left, male on right.

a65c3ny.jpg

Female on left with more defined stripes on her back, as well as bolder coloring on her head. Her head has an outline of black in between the brown and the pale down, whereas the male doesn't have much black.

eXiprkO.jpg

This is the best I could do on the male's coloring without a chick wrangler! The stripes on his back aren't as stark as the female's.

Hopefully that helps someone else with their little chipmunks. Since I ended up with 4 males and 2 females, I naturally had to go get 4 more females this afternoon. :gig

@21hens-incharge I read about in a few threads on here and on a breed club website for OEGBs. Apparently with the silver duckwing OEGBs and some of the other OEGB colors the color of the down indicates gender. Boys have lighter stripes across their eyes and lighter, less distinct stripes on their backs. Females have dark stripes on their eyes and backs.

I just went and took some pictures. Apologies for the funky lighting in the mudroom... the weather is trying to decide what it wants to do. Rod, hopefully you don't mind me adding the pictures here. If you have some of the little OEGBs it may help. :)

E5yO5v6.jpg

a65c3ny.jpg

Female on left with more defined stripes on her back, as well as bolder coloring on her head. Her head has an outline of black in between the brown and the pale down, whereas the male doesn't have much black.

eXiprkO.jpg

This is the best I could do on the male's coloring without a chick wrangler! The stripes on his back aren't as stark as the female's.

Hopefully that helps someone else with their little chipmunks. Since I ended up with 4 males and 2 females, I naturally had to go get 4 more females this afternoon. :gig

That does help as lot. Thank you!

I love bantams but cannot justify the MPC cost to get sexed ones.

I did find that with silver laced bantam Cochin's the darkest chicks are far more likely to be female.

E5yO5v6.jpg

a65c3ny.jpg

eXiprkO.jpg

Thanks! Wow, they do resemble my chicks! :love Thanks! I'm uploading the pics onto the computer :)

Back
Top Bottom