TSC "red pullets"?

RichardR

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Anderson Indiana
I stopped by my local TSC yesterday for the first day of "chick day" & the only chicks that they had were a tub of ducklings, a tub of assorted "pullets" and a tub of assorted "red pullets".

My best guess was that the assorted "pullets" were golden comets & the assorted "red pullets" were RIR, I asked the employees but they had no idea of what exact breed either of them actually were, anyway I went ahead and selected what I thought were six RIR but I wanted to see if I could get anyone elses opinion.

Here are the chicks in question:

chicks01.jpg

chicks.jpg

Quote:
On the front of the bins there should be a card that indicates the various breeds of the "Reds", as noted by tnchick. I picked up two yesterday along with two Speckled Sussex and two Barred Rocks.

I always wondered what the red chicks in the bins were because they didn't look like RIR. I wish they would separate the breeds and label them when they came in so I can get me some EEs.

Quote:
On the front of the bins there should be a card that indicates the various breeds of the "Reds", as noted by tnchick. I picked up two yesterday along with two Speckled Sussex and two Barred Rocks.

I would be careful when getting chicks from a feed store, not for health reasons but if you are after a specific breed. I wanted two EE but ended up with an extra Prod. Red and only 1 EE, even though they were both in the same bin. This particular Red did not look like the others that I also picked that same day, but now at 2 weeks old she looks just like the other two just a couple of days younger.

Quote:

I would be careful when getting chicks from a feed store, not for health reasons but if you are after a specific breed. I wanted two EE but ended up with an extra Prod. Red and only 1 EE, even though they were both in the same bin. This particular Red did not look like the others that I also picked that same day, but now at 2 weeks old she looks just like the other two just a couple of days younger.

That is because people let their kids pick up the birds and they put them down wherever they want. I have to get ducks out of the chicks all day.

Best thing... for health and being sure of the breed... call the store in the morning and see what they just got in... try to get there when the store opens.. before any rugrats get in and use the store as a petting zoo.

Back
Top Bottom