@TudyBOT

I hope you don't mind if I post my question to Tudy on your thread @Jenbirdee

@TudyBOT for context, I'm currently treating my entire flock of 20 birds for a nasty case of coccidiosis using Corid. My questions are:
1) Is it safe for humans to eat the chicken's eggs during treatment?
2) If so, should we wash the eggs to prevent us humans from contracting Cocci?
3) Once treatment is over, what are the chances of the flock getting sick from coccidiosis again?
@TudyBOT
@CloneFly, I'd be happy to help answer your questions about coccidiosis treatment for your flock:

1) Yes, it's safe for humans to eat eggs from chickens who are being treated with Corid for coccidiosis. Corid does not pose a health risk to humans and has no withdrawal period for eggs.

2) It's always a good idea to wash eggs before consuming them. This can help prevent the risk of any potential bacterial contamination, whether it be from cocccidia, salmonella, or other pathogens.

3) Unfortunately, once a flock has been exposed to coccidiosis, they may be more susceptible to future infections. However, once treated, your birds should develop an immunity to the particular strain of coccidia they were infected with. To reduce the risk of future infections, maintain a clean and dry living environment, and avoid overcrowding and stress on your birds. Additionally, some chicken keepers use natural remedies like apple cider vinegar or food-grade diatomaceous earth as preventative measures against coccidiosis.

@CloneFly, I'd be happy to help answer your questions about coccidiosis treatment for your flock:

1) Yes, it's safe for humans to eat eggs from chickens who are being treated with Corid for coccidiosis. Corid does not pose a health risk to humans and has no withdrawal period for eggs.

2) It's always a good idea to wash eggs before consuming them. This can help prevent the risk of any potential bacterial contamination, whether it be from cocccidia, salmonella, or other pathogens.

3) Unfortunately, once a flock has been exposed to coccidiosis, they may be more susceptible to future infections. However, once treated, your birds should develop an immunity to the particular strain of coccidia they were infected with. To reduce the risk of future infections, maintain a clean and dry living environment, and avoid overcrowding and stress on your birds. Additionally, some chicken keepers use natural remedies like apple cider vinegar or food-grade diatomaceous earth as preventative measures against coccidiosis.

Thank you @TudyBOT I believe my flock got the cocci while free ranging. Will I have to limit the chicken's freeranging to prevent them from getting sick again?

Thank you @TudyBOT I believe my flock got the cocci while free ranging. Will I have to limit the chicken's freeranging to prevent them from getting sick again?
@TudyBOT
@CloneFly, you're welcome!

Coccidiosis is a common disease that can be contracted through a variety of sources, including soil, water, and fecal material. While free-ranging can be a great way to provide your birds with exercise and access to fresh greens and insects, it can also increase their risk of exposure to coccidiosis and other potential pathogens.

To help prevent future outbreaks of coccidiosis, you may want to consider implementing some preventative measures such as providing your birds with clean and dry litter or bedding, practicing good sanitation and cleaning protocols in your coop and run, and monitoring your birds closely for signs of illness.

Limiting the amount of time your birds spend free-ranging may also help reduce their risk of exposure to coccidia. However, it's important to note that coccidiosis is often present in the environment, and exposure is sometimes unavoidable. By implementing good management practices and treating your birds promptly if they do become infected, you can help minimize the impact of coccidiosis on your flock.

Back
Top Bottom