Tufted Duckling & Heat Plate

3xhhheather

Crowing
May 8, 2020
Finger Lakes, NY/5B
Morning! So picked up a box of peeping ducklings and Cackle threw in extras! Well, one of them is tufted and I only have a premier one and brinsea heat plates. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the tufted ducklings cannot use these as they're actually missing a piece of their skull? I can run out and get a lamp if necessary, but if I can avoid the fire hazard aspect that would be a bonus. Thanks in advance!

i’m not sure about the heat plate, but yes crested ducks have a skull deformity and will likely have issues throughout their life that require vet care for them to live (also do not breed them, it is cruel)

i’m not sure about the heat plate, but yes crested ducks have a skull deformity and will likely have issues throughout their life that require vet care for them to live (also do not breed them, it is cruel)

Oh, great. Yeah, no plans on breeding these - guess I'll be doing some research today to better prep myself for what this little one is going to need (and start a separate vet fund).

Oh, great. Yeah, no plans on breeding these - guess I'll be doing some research today to better prep myself for what this little one is going to need (and start a separate vet fund).
any idea on the gender? i’ve also heard that if a drake (or even another hen) mates a crested hen and pulls on her crest it can cause more damage. hopefully someone who has crested ducks can help you more

any idea on the gender? i’ve also heard that if a drake (or even another hen) mates a crested hen and pulls on her crest it can cause more damage. hopefully someone who has crested ducks can help you more
I ordered all females, so I'm guessing it's a drake :/ but yeah that would be a huge concern of mine as all my ladies like to party.

Personally I would just be safe and get a hear lamp. I know a lot of people tmdont like them, but I use 3 or 4 in the chick room depending on the number ofnhmbirds I have and I really don't have issues.

As long as no one yanks on the crest it should be fine. Same with breeding. As long as only one parent is crested it really shouldn't cause problems

I ordered all females, so I'm guessing it's a drake :/ but yeah that would be a huge concern of mine as all my ladies like to party.
Congratulations on your ducklings!

I adopted a crested pekin duck as an adult into my all female flock. The other ducks pull on her crest when mating but she has never been injured. She has issues with ingrown feathers, but those are on her tail from being overmated by wild mallards before I got her.

She has had many illnesses, but they haven't been related to her crest or nuerological in nature - I believe. She has so many reproductive issues. And now that she is older she has arthritis.

I'm not sure about the heater. I think I would call the hatchery and ask. I have a sweeter heater for my crested and I'm unaware of any issues. She's fully feathered but because of her arthritis and age she gets cold so I give it to her anyway.

I chatted with Cackle (thanks for the suggestion @KaleIAm 🧡) and after sending them a picture of the duckling, they recommended using a heat lamp. I did some quick research and I think I'm going to try a mama heating pad first, but pick up the heat lamp as a backup. There's a heater out there with them and the air temp is 88, so I think they should be okay with that combo.

Added a pic of the little one--sorry it's blurry!

crested-duckling.jpeg

I chatted with Cackle (thanks for the suggestion @KaleIAm 🧡) and after sending them a picture of the duckling, they recommended using a heat lamp. I did some quick research and I think I'm going to try a mama heating pad first, but pick up the heat lamp as a backup. There's a heater out there with them and the air temp is 88, so I think they should be okay with that combo.

Added a pic of the little one--sorry it's blurry!

View attachment 2628327
I always love baby photos. 💖

Now I'm worried about cooking my crested's brain with her sweeter heater. I guess I'll ask her vet and email the company. I'm so glad you brought this up!

Back
Top Bottom