Tumor? Infection? Chicken can’t stand or stay upright.

NUGE

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
My 2 year old silkie is sick with a few different symptoms. I noticed a few weeks ago she was wobbly. I brought her inside and fed her vitamins for a few days. On the second day she got worse having a hard time standing, but the very next day she was almost back to normal. I kept her inside a few more days and then put her back out in the coop. She was fine for a week, and then I noticed her unsteady again. I brought her back in and started vitamins again. Since then (about a week) she has gotten progressively worse. Now she can’t stand at all and falls over if not propped up. When checking her out, I found a grape sized tumor below her chest. I can’t tell if it’s a tumor or an infection. We don’t have any vets in the area that do chickens, so I’m solo trying to fix this. Any ideas as to what it is/suggestions?

Attachments

• 7FBCBC45-76DF-4637-A041-16232DBEC47D.jpeg
    7FBCBC45-76DF-4637-A041-16232DBEC47D.jpeg
    350.9 KB · Views: 7
  • CC32550D-8CA1-4627-A7D4-08F48CDBF187.jpeg
    CC32550D-8CA1-4627-A7D4-08F48CDBF187.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 6
This sounds like possible Mareks disease, but the only way to get a diagnosis is to have testing done after death with a necropsy performed by your state vet or poultry lab.
Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? Usually Mareks symptoms start in the first year of life, but can affect any age if exposed. Is there any swelling in her legs or feet that might be some other cause?
Mareks can cause decreased immunity, weakness of one or both legs or wings, sometimes twisted or limp neck, tumors, and sometimes eye changes. Symptoms can start, then go away for a time, and later return.
I would keep her close to food and water, and keep giving her some vitamins or B complex.

This sounds like possible Mareks disease, but the only way to get a diagnosis is to have testing done after death with a necropsy performed by your state vet or poultry lab.
Have you added any new chickens to your flock recently? Usually Mareks symptoms start in the first year of life, but can affect any age if exposed. Is there any swelling in her legs or feet that might be some other cause?
Mareks can cause decreased immunity, weakness of one or both legs or wings, sometimes twisted or limp neck, tumors, and sometimes eye changes. Symptoms can start, then go away for a time, and later return.
I would keep her close to food and water, and keep giving her some vitamins or B complex.

Thanks for the response. I was thinking this but hoping not.
To answer questions. No new chickens in over 1.5 years
No swelling, neck is normal, eating fine. Eyes are solid black.

Will keep up the vitamins...

AF36A2D2-428E-4E1E-A6D9-0685BFFEB66C.jpeg
Is that what a mereks
3DEE31F6-A9FE-408F-A0D2-20EE58ACA1F7.jpeg
tumor would look like? It’s leaking a little and the feathers were matted to it

You might want to lance and squeeze to see if you can express some fluid or pus, in case it is an abscess from a feather that has been ingrown. They sometimes get breast blisters on the chest from lying around when legs are not working well. Usually though, they are on the breastbone, and that looks off to the side.
I haven’t had Mareks, but there can be all sorts of different looking tumors in chickens. Leaking fluid could possibly be a cyst. Most tumors are firm or hard.

Back
Top Bottom