Turkenstein25's Turkey Talk for 2015

Yep, the hubby had the electrolyte water all ready before he went to pick up the poults from the post office. Thanks!
I'm sure the kids will be super excited to see them when they get home from school today.
yippiechickie.gif
I hope they turn out okay for the county fair which is held over Labor Day weekend. Last year my oldest daughter got best turkey with her broad breasted white tom and my son entered his into the blue ribbon small animal auction and his 41# live weight BB tom brought $160. I was so happy and proud of them. They work really hard on their poultry!

Yep, the hubby had the electrolyte water all ready before he went to pick up the poults from the post office. Thanks!
I'm sure the kids will be super excited to see them when they get home from school today.
yippiechickie.gif
I hope they turn out okay for the county fair which is held over Labor Day weekend. Last year my oldest daughter got best turkey with her broad breasted white tom and my son entered his into the blue ribbon small animal auction and his 41# live weight BB tom brought $160. I was so happy and proud of them. They work really hard on their poultry!
That is wonderful that they enjoy poultry and that you have gotten them involved in the 4-H and the shows.
They did great to win their ribbons and prizes!

We have 4 turkey now, all broad breasted, and I am getting a Royal Palm as they are my favorite (and am promising my other half, this is the last one!).
I am raising them as a hobby. I just could not eat them...
Even thought our first turkey is named "Thanksgiving." Our single white one is "Blondie" after the singer. The other 2 look too much alike to name yet, so they are Turkey 1 & 2.

I am in the learning stage, educating myself as much as I can on turkey - strains, behavior, etc. It has been a lot of fun.
I write true crime books so my work can get a little sad / sickening. My animals keep me balanced
D.gif

We also have 1 little guinea because the rest of trhe flock died off. I am going insane trying to find a few more his age so he will not be alone.

I am excited about this site as I am learning every day!

Hi everyone,
New to BYC today. Been lurking a while before joining though!
We received our order of poults from Porter's today.
Two were DOA and my husband said one looks bad. So might lose that one, too, maybe more, we'll see!
We got Bourbon Reds, Narragansetts, Black, Slate and Royal Palm. We're all really excited about having heritage breeds. We've raised Broad Breasted Whites & Bronzes in the past many years for meat, and that has been very successful for us. My hubby built moveable coops/pens for the meat turkeys and meat chickens last year and moves them around our pasture all summer. We had great results with this and no predator problems. Meat tasted great and was really inexpensive to raise this way. We're hoping for great results with the heritage breeds, too. A couple of my kids want to show them in our county fair for 4-H, so they are going to be very excited that their poults came today. (They paid for the poults themselves!!)

Looking forward to hanging around and learning a lot!
Angela
welcome-byc.gif

@CheesePoultry good luck with your turkey babies! This is my first years with hatching eggs. I did 5 eggs in an incubator and hatched 4. My hens had 5 eggs and hatched 5 but one died the first day. I gave the babies to the hens. I figured mother nature could do a better job than I and the hens are very attentive. They are two weeks old and groing like crazy. I have narragansett and palm crosses.

@CheesePoultry good luck with your turkey babies! This is my first years with hatching eggs. I did 5 eggs in an incubator and hatched 4. My hens had 5 eggs and hatched 5 but one died the first day. I gave the babies to the hens. I figured mother nature could do a better job than I and the hens are very attentive. They are two weeks old and groing like crazy. I have narragansett and palm crosses.
How cool! Good luck to your poults! Can you post some pics of the poults? I bet they're super cute crosses.

I wouldn't be surprised if my daughter wants to try to hatch some turkey eggs next year. But for now we'll keep our little flock growing for meat and showing if we can. We'll see how things turn out.

Angela

welcome-byc.gif
to the other new members! (I'm pretty new too.) This site has been great for finding my way as a new turkey owner. I got my first two poults in February, and yesterday I just brought home my third. Mine are going to be pets, but I might let them breed next year if it works out. My original idea was to have them protect my chickens from hawks. But now I like them for themselves.
smile.png

This is Poppyseed, the new one. She is a Sweetgrass bred by racinchickens. He got her parents from Porter's. (I just call her a she. Time will tell.)

she is sleeping on my lap right now.
love.gif

Quote: Day one baby , Narragansett 10 month old tom, hens which are half palm i think, 10 day poult perching 3 feet up! first time uploading photos bear with me

Back
Top Bottom