Turkey 911

Chickenhaven2020

Hatching
Jul 6, 2021
Ok so my Turkey was attacked by a dog. I'm at a loss. I've treated it the best I can and I do believe he is going to lose his wing. Is there anyone near Jacksonville that is willing to take him on pro bono. I have no money for I am a stay at home mom. If he can get the help he needs and possibly find him a great home. He is my baby . I've raised him since he was only a week old.

Attachments

• 20210705_195043.jpg
    20210705_195043.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 13
You can try cleaning his wounds with half strength Hibiclens or chlorhexidene, or use half strength betadine. Usually dressings are not needed, but with a bone exposed, I would use some telfa or non-adhesive dressing. A loose strip of vet wrap or netting could hold it on. With a bone sticking out, it can help to amputate it, especially if a vet can do it. He may need some antibiotics specifically for bone infections, such as clindamycin or cephalexin. If amputation is not possible, I would still try to treat him at home if a vet is not possible. Those sometimes are available for fish or pigeons without a prescription. Are you in Florida or in another state?

You can try cleaning his wounds with half strength Hibiclens or chlorhexidene, or use half strength betadine. Usually dressings are not needed, but with a bone exposed, I would use some telfa or non-adhesive dressing. A loose strip of vet wrap or netting could hold it on. With a bone sticking out, it can help to amputate it, especially if a vet can do it. He may need some antibiotics specifically for bone infections, such as clindamycin or cephalexin. If amputation is not possible, I would still try to treat him at home if a vet is not possible. Those sometimes are available for fish or pigeons without a prescription. Are you in Florida or in another state?
I have bactine and iodine rinse. I also used clot medicine. I don't have a veterinarian and I am In the city. Not a lot of options. I just want him to have a fighting chance. If someone could take him on and give him a good home.

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. I recently had the same thing happen to our Tom but he was able to pull through with lots of care.

I highly recommend giving him electrolyte water.

I started by cleaning his wounds with salt water. Use warm water and add salt. I used a paper towel to wipe/dab the area and poured remaining over the wounds. I also used vetirycin to clean the wound, it is an antimicrobial.

I also recommend using a small amount of terrimycin in the wounds (the kind you can use as an ointment, can be found at tractor supply). The terrimycin is an antibiotic and with all the bacteria present in the mouth of a dog, you definitely need to use it.

After that I used blue kote, this will prevent pecking and self mutilation from the turkey or other birds.

I have bactine and iodine rinse. I also used clot medicine. I don't have a veterinarian and I am In the city. Not a lot of options. I just want him to have a fighting chance. If someone could take him on and give him a good home.
Bactine has a pain killer, lidocaine, which is best not to use with chickens. If you use it once, try not to use it again. Initially, it would be good to use an antiseptic rinse. Later you can use the saline or salt water 2 tsp table salt per quart of water boiled and simmered for 15 minutes. You might check with your local animal shelter or vet about care.

He didn't make it

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( No words can express how it feels to lose a precious pet. He will live on with you in your heart always ❤

Back
Top Bottom