turkey 911

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by poochell01, Aug 16, 2013.

1. poochell01

poochell01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Cave Junction Oregon
    So I have a 5 month old turkey and today I noticed the other birds picking on his backside. When I looked there is a big nasty hole where his rear should be they have been eating him. I sprayed with blue kote what should I do? I'm still new to this bird raising.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Watch for maggots in the wound.

-Kathy

3. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    Clean the wound and apply Nu-Stock to the wound. Keep him separated until it heals. Blue, red or any bright colors will attract your turkeys to keep pecking at him.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How are they doing with the Blue Kote? That's all I use and have never had a problem with them continuing to peck.

5. poochell01

poochell01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Cave Junction Oregon
    I had him separated from everyone. I was using blue kote. Keeping it clean but it was to severe and he got maggots yesterday I tried everything I could but he just didn't make it :( we are very sad today he was a sweet boy. When I got him my hubby didn't even want turkeys but after we had him and our other turkey he wants to do a few breeding pairs next year. He always greeted me at the door and loved to cuddle next to me. Thank you everyone for all your help and advice.I do appreciate it and this site :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by