Turkey acting different - behavior question

furbabies86

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
My turkey the past few days has been acting different. She’s usually very sweet and loving. She always had to run up next to you to be with you and never ever had a problem with being pet. The past few days she has been a little more I feel agitated or bothered. I’m not sure. When we go to pet her she tries to sometimes peck at us. And now she’s making this sound (sometimes) I have never heard of. But this post won’t allow me to attach a video but it almost sounds more like a coo or like a "purr" i dont know how to explain it and her face gets red. Anyone know what may or may not be wrong? It’s snowy here now so she doesn’t or can’t come out out as much to play in yard. Maybe she feels cooped up. I honestly have no idea. This is very new. She pens with a bantam chicken and four ducks (they grew up together since babies). She has never ever been an issue. The behavior change recently is just a little confusing and concerning. So any advice would really help. We got her and the rest around march/april as babies.

Could be hormones, or could just be a personality switch. I have 2 hens I hand raised that I used to cuddle with and love on, and out of nowhere they just stopped approaching me. They'll follow me around and let the other birds know I'm here but almost never want attention from me anymore. If you hand raised her she might be challenging you for your flock status (one of the 2 hens above does this to me, she doesnt peck at me anymore but she follows me around making the 'challenge trill'). If imprinted its usually a sign of her no longer considering you "Parent" and now seeing you as another flock mate. If you could upload your video to a site like YouTube or vimeo then you can post it here!

Could be hormones, or could just be a personality switch. I have 2 hens I hand raised that I used to cuddle with and love on, and out of nowhere they just stopped approaching me. They'll follow me around and let the other birds know I'm here but almost never want attention from me anymore. If you hand raised her she might be challenging you for your flock status (one of the 2 hens above does this to me, she doesnt peck at me anymore but she follows me around making the 'challenge trill'). If imprinted its usually a sign of her no longer considering you "Parent" and now seeing you as another flock mate. If you could upload your video to a site like YouTube or vimeo then you can post it here!

here you go.https://youtu.be/T7i7it4E-i4

Oh yup, that's a challenge noise. She wants to scuffle. Whether or not she will follow through with it is up to each individual turkey. You might try and tempt her with treats or just have to wait and see if she gets over this hump.

Back
Top Bottom